how 2 choose a pup

Guest patterdale06

As for size,sex,coat ect it's down to what you like,no one is any better than another,and as for working ability the post above says it all it's all down to the individual dog,iv'e had some that were mint on everything mated them up and kept a pup back which turned out to be a right tosser,then another time you will get a really game one,so no one can say,as they say you pays your money and takes your chances

Guest Side by Side

well i used to think you would need a good sized terrier but i have a small little jack hes about the size of a hare may be a bit bigger and hes a good little worker a hart the size of i dont know what and i have another one a bit bigger again hes coming on good and a i have a leggy one as well....

i have also got another one small one she was all right in her day but shes old now......

but i dont think that size really matters.... sex does not really matter i dnt think

happy hunting

sbs

Guest mucker

if your happy with what you see n know of the dam n sire all you can do if you have the choice is pic the best put together pup.

ive only had one litter of terrier pups but parents although blackuns were both different in shape, size and the way they worked.

pups were a mixed litter in terms of type some looked carbon copys of sire and some of mothers line.

i waited till they were 8 weeks old to make a decision.

if there from dogs your happy with then it shouldnt matter ,not bothered about coat,and prefer dogs to bitches.

Agree with Mik -- the parents. :good: Get 'em out of working stock and get 'em the size of the people that dig a lot (not the one-and-done crowd) in your area are actually using. As for training, you won't have to worry about that for a while -- just take the dog walking in the woods a lot and get is used to being around other dogs, loud noises, farm stock, etc. When the dog gets to about 10 months, take it out with someone on a dig. Above all, go slow. Dogs are never entered too late, but often too soonn

P

For some reason i seem to be able to pick the ones that wont make the grade!...lol.

Lucky for me and my digging buddy, we will both be living a short distance from each other soon, as opposed to living 14 hours away from each other!..lol.

We have both agreed, all that we breed will stay and be run on until there 18 months to two years old...workers will be kept, Non-workers will be gone!..

Luckily we will have enough room for all that, and thats the way im going to be able to do things with ours terriers and our Staghounds!...i look forward to it!..

Kye,..