Ferreting yesterday

Well me and a member off here called ferrets went ferreting yesterday, we had a great time , we got there sat in the car for about 5 mins eating our breakfast and go oit and got the welleis and kit on and off we went, went down the field hedge line came to our first set, the dogs were marking so the nets went on and ferrets went in.

For a about five minutes there was nothing but as i started to walk down the hedge a rabbit bolted into one of the nets behind me and i quickly killed it and out the net back on the hole, my mate sat at the other side of the hedge wait for a bolt with the lurchers but then again one bolted my side but it went into the thick brush and the net did not close properly and it took to its legs and so did my terrier but there was no change my terrier was going to catch a rabbit in an open field. the ferrets came out and we pulled up the nets and off to the next set.

There was a wood by the river which had some rabbit sets in so we went there and the dogs marked up and the nets went down then the ferrets, in second os the ferrets going in a rabbit bolted by my mate as he was untangling the rabbit an other bolted front the hole under him into the purse net and i ran over to kill it before the dogs played tug of war with it.That was it for that set so off we went into another small wood further up the fields.

We jumped the fence and went into the wood and the dogs marked up so the nets went down and the ferrets, by now the wind was very powerful and there was lots of rain too, after about 10 mins there was no sign of the ferrets, the set was a small one, so we put my young ferret in with a locator on it and we soon located the spot and i went back to the car to get the spade and went back to start digging, when i got back my ferret was in the box and so was one of my mates but the other was not. The locator was reading 5ft and we started digging taking it in turns the the ferrets remerged and we dug about another half foot and decided that one rabbit was not worth getting soked and so we filled it in and off to another big wood.

We got there the dog bolted a rabbit out of a pile of cut branches and they chased into a set we put the nets down and the ferrets went in but nothing would bolt so we went to the other set we knew of and the dogs marked up, nets down and ferrets in, but nothing would bolt, so we picked uop the nets and called it a day.

Dropped my mates dogs off at his house and went to mine to skin the rabbits and sold the 5 for £17.50 and went to get some chips with the money we made, what a great day is was

Sorry for no pics i didn't get the phone out as it was p***ing it down with rain