Fitness training

Guest falconeru.k01

Guest falconeru.k01

Hi everyone

After spending last month manning centres falcons down after moult its time for getting birds fit ready for Easter opening.

Our method is using a kite to get the falcon fit as possible quickly, we started 5 birds yesterday of at 150 ft they all managed it ok.

Bigger falcons 100ft no problem reaching pitch, over next month this will be carried out 5 days week on other two days rested to turn fat to muscle.

This method give you a great fit bird in short time how many others use this method & what is your verdict?

Regards Mick

www.raptormagic.co.uk

Hello Mick

After you mentioned to me about finding two eggs on the ledge yesterday in the Harris aviary I thought I better check them out here, she's layed a single egg under the nest ledge on the floor which explains all the squarking she's been making! its now ticking over nicley in the Grumbach ;), these are earliest Harris's I have heard of this year.

have you still got the two eggs you found in the nest? it would be handy if I had some more to go with this one should I have to Creche them on a ledge! I think I'm going to be stuck having a rearing bird for this one egg should it Hatch out ok and having nothing else to rear it with could course a bit of a problem, if you hav'nt got them its no problem! I'll have to think of another method or way of rearing it :good:.

Take Care

Tony

Guest falconeru.k01

Hi Tony

Im sorry mate the lad i told the lad to throw em away , she is throwing them out thick & fast its the earliest i can recal also.

Looked back on my records was a whole month later last season, Do you think she may lay again?

Regards Mick

www.raptormagic.co.uk

Tony I remebered our conversation we had last night, after spending hr de yolking 200 bloody chicks

:(

But my day was made better when i exersiced birds had some good flights today lanner & gyr x lanner hit 250 ft on kite on second day of free flying . Keep your chin up!!

Regards Mick

www.raptormagic.co.uk

No probs mate I'm sure I'll find something to stick it under should it hatch.

De-Yolking chicks! what a lovelly messy job! I trainned the missus to do it last year, she's well quaified now to help me out ;), I know what you're saying about keeping my Chin up! I think the bird Flu saga and all the expectation of the breeding seasons puts me firmly on a Downer, Hopefully the missus will get her Nurses uniform on tonight and cheer me up a bit.. :D:good:.

Cheers

Tony

Tony I take it wife is the other room unless your a lucky man!! :good:

She wants a new washing machine Mick! Basically if she gets the gear on she can have one ;) , thats some expense for something that only last for 3 minutes ;) :whistle:.

Tony

Guest what a flight
Hi everyone

After spending last month manning centres falcons down after moult its time for getting birds fit ready for Easter opening.

Our method is using a kite to get the falcon fit as possible quickly, we started 5 birds yesterday of at 150 ft they all managed it ok.

Bigger falcons 100ft no problem reaching pitch, over next month this will be carried out 5 days week on other two days rested to turn fat to muscle.

This method give you a great fit bird in short time how many others use this method & what is your verdict?

Regards Mick

www.raptormagic.co.uk

I used a kite for the first time last summer while training a gyrxpere teircel for gamehawking,more so for

pitch,and to be honest,after having great success gamehawking with a traditionally trained {whatever that means ;) } peregrine falcon bred by jasper,i think i could of done the same without the kite with the hybrid as he was from very high mounting lines.But ''imo''where it really counts i could put him over consistantly good set ups through out the season. At-least with using the kite you KNOW the falcons going to go up to high altitude pitches,but getting it to stay theres a different matter.First flight without the kite he kept on climbing and went through the cloudbase and beyond vision :icon_eek: ,2 hours and over 50 miles later i had him hooded and back on the cadge,without the {tailmounted}luksander xlf3-6v transmitter id'e have lost him before the gamehawking season had even started,the {legmounted}marshalls rt + transmitter never gave a peep after 20 minutes :no: . He consistantly hit 800 ft + pitches during early flights,but being kite trained he was super fit and would quickly tip over into full tuck stoops before i flushed,and kill wood pigeon,gull and crow,he put me through some serious f****n stress :haha: ,eventually he jibbed check but it took tight weight reduction to get him looking back in and waiting for the dog to do her bit.success with good crops pulled him right round and he eventually turned out really well.Roll on the next season,i'll continue with the kite from august into september and see how it goes,he may even put in an appearance at woodhall spa :whistle: :D .......

cheers,

W A F.....

12ft Delta over 1000ft

kite1.jpg

coming down the line on the lure.

kite3.jpg

having his reward.

Photo0039.jpg

The hard work pays off...

cock phes.

Photo0130.jpg

hen.

Photo0135.jpg

grey partridge.

grey.jpg

Guest what a flight

Hears a few pics of my peregrine bred by jasper :good: ,

:D i got a teircel a few weeks back to go with her,

even though he doesn't look it against her he's a good size he flys at 1lb 8oz she still dwarfs over him.

She's only just accepted him know after being blocked close,she tried to kill him when i first put her in the chamber :icon_eek: .hopefully there know getting onh and showing the right signs,we might get some fertile eggs,Though first and formost she's a gamehawk for me. :good:

with her new mate.

Photo0068.jpg

what she does best

Photo0050.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

Hears a few pics of my peregrine bred by jasper :good: ,

:D i got a teircel a few weeks back to go with her,

even though he doesn't look it against her he's a good size he flys at 1lb 8oz she still dwarfs over him.

She's only just accepted him know after being blocked close,she tried to kill him when i first put her in the chamber :icon_eek: .hopefully there know getting onh and showing the right signs,we might get some fertile eggs,Though first and formost she's a gamehawk for me. :good:

with her new mate.

Photo0068.jpg

what she does best

Photo0050.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

There lovely looking birds mate i bet they look stunning in full flight :good:

Hello Mate

that looks like a cracking tiercel, hopefully come april when they're in together she'll be waving her knickers in the air for him, you could stick him in for a week or so on his own and then try her in with him! stick some nice fine gravel on the ledge deep enough to allow her to scrape out and if you can do it or someone else can do it while you're at work spread the feeding out say 3-4 times a day to keep the courtship going, each time you feed the Tiercel should take the food and go through the courtship and food passing routine which keeps her Interested :good:, try and get some of the lads from up your way mate to bang a few woodies or ferals with steel shot, this quality diet will also help to bring her into condition, I'm sure you'll crack it mate! the Gyr x Pere put back to her would be Interesting in the future.

they're all down with a Flu Virus here mate! Its been a nightmare looking after them all and I'm now sat down on the Pc with a nice cool beer, boy have I earned it ;).

Speak To You Soon

Tony

Guest falconeru.k01

Nice bird mate credit to you , i always train new falcons to kite some prefer it than passing to lure i have found .Then some birds just go to good pitch straight away like you say good stock counts.

To me kite is a blessing for getting centres falcons fit in short period of time the kite educates the falcon in flight, footing skills & mentally matures bird in a whole.

I have had more birds fly at good pitch when trained with kite in first season, my flying arena is surrounded by trees & found the odd bird has sat in tree which i hate & dont want to happen in a demonstration :icon_redface:

now i pop kte up til fit to stop it sitting & then pass to lure when fittness level achieved.but as a reminder to falcons i use it now & then through season, i have retrieved birds as well with out leaving my flying ground by sticking up kite . ps Hope you gets some young from your pair .

Regards Mick

www.raptormagic.co.uk