Large vs. Small size

Some lads in a slightly western state got a 47lber...looked like a bear cub!

I agree with Rolly,...a SMALL, and HARD dog, will get 'proper fecked' buy a coon in no short time...if there small, they HAVE to bay or they will pay the price, simple...also, from what ive seen over here, some people have called a dog 'hard' when i would have just called it a good bayer/mixer type!...

Yeah you CAN dig big coon (30lbs+) with small terriers, but NOT with small and hard terriers...

Kye..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small in America, is probably (of course some will disagree), but I'd say under 12in and under 14lbs, then med or average 12-14in 14-17lbs, large over that. I have one probably 13in 20lbs and he is definitely big by American standards but probably average or med from what I've seen of European terriers. Spannability doesn't mean a whole lot to me. My hands are larger than most people as I'm a mini Sasquatch and I've seen dogs that I could barely span fit places that easily spannable dogs wouldn't push to fit. The larger dogs drive made them get where they wanted. Now a small, spannable dog with drive would have gotten there too, but with 35lb coons not uncommon where I hunt and few groundhogs, a "real" small terrier unless a total bayer will likely get killed. A super hard groundhogger pocket terrier will face certain death with the coons they will encounter. So I keep different tools for different jobs, but nothing classified as "small" by American standards.

Possum and Blackandtan right on!

SPOT ON MATE IT'S ALL IN THE DRIVE!!! IV'E HAD BIG DOGS THAT WOULD GET ENYWERE,AND TINY EASILY SPANABLE DOGS THAT CAN'T OR WONT GET IN TUBES THAT ARE HUGE. :victory:

a big dog will only get if its in earth and can dig on its f****d if it hits tight spots in roots rock or anything that it cant dig through. a smaller dog will get there in no time at all and have it bottled up or bolted whilst the big dog is still digging through . if the smaller dogs couldnt / wouldnt go through. its not the size of the dog thats the problem its the size of its heart :victory:

Some lads in a slightly western state got a 47lber...looked like a bear cub!

I agree with Rolly,...a SMALL, and HARD dog, will get 'proper fecked' buy a coon in no short time...if there small, they HAVE to bay or they will pay the price, simple...also, from what ive seen over here, some people have called a dog 'hard' when i would have just called it a good bayer/mixer type!...

Yeah you CAN dig big coon (30lbs+) with small terriers, but NOT with small and hard terriers...

Kye..

this post would also make good sense over here :notworthy:

I heard that the guys got it with a yappy "two foot up the pipe" kinda dog and the poor thing just sat there and stayed put...coon 'aint dumb, they will happily sit there and let you dig them with 'yappers'...no wild animal WANTS confrontaision with a dog...as ive said before, if you want to see the BEST (or worst!..lol.) from a coon, you gotta dig 'em with 'up and at 'em' types simple as that!...to dig them with yappers that bark at them from 10" away is an insult to the creature imo...i liken it to shooting jack rabbits, anyone can shoot a jack rabbit, but not many dogs can do one single handed in the winter with 100 yards head start!...play the coon at its own game, and a coons game is 'brawling'...they are clever fighters, and they can brawl with the best of them!...honestly, one of, if not THE most testing quarry for the type of dogs i like/keep, that i have encountered...dig them with dogs that want to play THERE game, and you will see what kinda dogs you have...JMHO.

Kye..

Fat City, just wondering and not to cause any problems, but......have you ever taken any 40 to 50 pounders with terriers?

Hoss, you ain't new to the game, you ever seen a wild 40-50lb coon?

Fatcity, I would never call you a liar, but I have not seen a coon even close to 50lbs in my entire life, nor has my father who hunted coons for 20 years, before I was born. Got one that I believe was 38lbs I caught trapping and was actually weighed. 50lb coons would kill all my dogs........

well got to blue collars board and look in the brush and barn hunting and look at the one that my bulls got . the one with my male bull is or should i say was a 40lber and my partner has one that was mounted that was a 50lber I don't know what it is they just get big around here (norcal centralvalley) .

Fat City, just wondering and not to cause any problems, but......have you ever taken any 40 to 50 pounders with terriers?

Fatcity, I would never call you a liar, but I have not seen a coon even close to 50lbs in my entire life, nor has my father who hunted coons for 20 years, before I was born. Got one that I believe was 38lbs I caught trapping and was actually weighed. 50lb coons would kill all my dogs........

Rolly, like some people would say....I've been around the block a time or two in my day. ;) The two largest coon I have personally seen on a scale was 48 and 42 pounds. The biggest we have taken with the terriers was 38# on a 4 1/2 hour dig, and we lost the dog later due to injuries. The 48 pounder we got some 38 years ago when hunting was a little different than now. We get a few each year in the mid 30 range, but they are also getting fewer and futher between. I know there are alot of big coon around, but I also have been around some and have to question the fact that 40 to 50 pounders are common in any part of the US. You may run across one once in a while maybe, but would hate for the people across the pond to think we have these "Monster Jurassic Coon" running amuck over here!

Take care,

Rolly, like some people would say....I've been around the block a time or two in my day. ;) The two largest coon I have personally seen on a scale was 48 and 42 pounds. The biggest we have taken with the terriers was 38# on a 4 1/2 hour dig, and we lost the dog later due to injuries. The 48 pounder we got some 38 years ago when hunting was a little different than now. We get a few each year in the mid 30 range, but they are also getting fewer and futher between. I know there are alot of big coon around, but I also have been around some and have to question the fact that 40 to 50 pounders are common in any part of the US. You may run across one once in a while maybe, but would hate for the people across the pond to think we have these "Monster Jurassic Coon" running amuck over here!

Take care,

never said they were common.just that is was not unheard of them to get this size. and what wrong with the guys on the other side of the poundthinking about these monsters lol :drink:

terriers010.jpg

Coon and possum on far right.

Most of the coon I encounter are in the 20-30lb range, with a couple each year above 30lbs.+ range.

The largest on the left was 31lbs. I believe, the others between 20-25lbs. Possums are good for training puppies and young dogs. They help a young dog figure out how to squeeze and draw well though.

Edited by rolly

To be honest, ive found the best fighting coon, or the ones that give the dogs the MOST trouble is the ones around the 15-20lb mark...

Possoms, you either love 'em or hate 'em!..lol.

I hate digging possoms...people tell me they CAN be aggresive, ive yet to see one...complete waste of time, i dont mind digging them if i cant find nothing else, rather dig a possom than nothing...but if i have to dig more than two foot for them, im pissed off!...just like digging rabbits, only rabbits taste ok!..lol.

To be honest, whenever i see possoms, i cant help seeing in my mind, a bunch of city folk, bent over, watching there yappy, six month old JR bay at one from 12" away, then they get a 'hunting certificate', and the dog is the best thing ever!..lmao...i just dont rate them.

When we are out at night, we get them in the light, and me and FR take turns at coursing them ourselves!..lol...im smaller, so im better on the turns, but FR is taller at the shoulder, so is better in big fields!...lol.

We run upto them, shout at them, they roll over and start dribbling everwhere, we take a pic, then let them go...lol.

Kye..

Possum do suck, but better than nothing. Are more of a time waster than anything and seems they are anywhere a coon is likely.

Hoss, I've seen a couple of your dogs so I know the size you generally keep, Kye what sized dogs you got? and what kind of critters do you mainly target? and what is your general geographical location?

Im in the Mid-West Rolly,...

We will hunt anything that we can, but the marority of our digging is on coon...im fascinated buy them, as a quarry, and an animal...i got two young ones, im rearing up, just so i can learn more about them...

My dogs are on the bigger side of things to be honest,...no world beaters, but they do ok for me and my digging buddy.

Kye..