Problem with ESS

Hi all,

Had my spaniel for 2 years now, did a full seasons beating where i'm an underkeeper last year. And was very pleased with him, he did everything I needed him to do!

However, we're dogging in like mad at the moment and this season we've taken on some new ground where a thick hedge with a gutter running through the middle of it runs straight from one of our pens. Obviously the birds are taking this route every day and therefore need dogging in.

The problem i'm having is that instead of working the cover, he's jumping in the gutter and running straight up it, not sure why, weather cause its easier or cause he knows he'll come across a bird quicker!!!

Anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this?? (He hasnt done this in any other type of cover before)

Any help appreciated,

BB

Hi all,

Had my spaniel for 2 years now, did a full seasons beating where i'm an underkeeper last year. And was very pleased with him, he did everything I needed him to do!

However, we're dogging in like mad at the moment and this season we've taken on some new ground where a thick hedge with a gutter running through the middle of it runs straight from one of our pens. Obviously the birds are taking this route every day and therefore need dogging in.

The problem i'm having is that instead of working the cover, he's jumping in the gutter and running straight up it, not sure why, weather cause its easier or cause he knows he'll come across a bird quicker!!!

Anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this?? (He hasnt done this in any other type of cover before)

Any help appreciated,

BB

Hes seen too many birds ,dogs arnt soft youve answered your own question he thinks hell come across a bird quicker!! Not much help to u but keep on a lead on the gutter ..If you can take a couple of dead rabbits or phessies out in your bag plant them either side of the gutter without the dog seeing him ..hunt em up close to where you planted game so he quickly finds them ...loads of praise repeat the exercise so he will start to associate that he may get a retrieve closer to you instead of travlling the whole gutter in a straight line

But it aint going to be easy as he has allready twigged to find the Birds

Good Luck Steve

Thanks for the advice mate, will try that!! As you said its not going to be easy, tried a few things already but as soon as he gets too excited he hits the gutter and away he goes. Tried working him real close as well and works for a while until he finds the gutter again.

With a few pheasant baggies to find as rewards might encourage him a bit more to stick to the cover and not the gutter!!

Cheers,

BB