Rain & then baby rabbits

Guest Hedgehunter

Guest Hedgehunter

Rain stopped ,so out we go,1st set hob in hunting,screaming,"here we go"then baby bunnies in all directions,we managed a couple from another set & then called it a day.Also checked out a quite large set of 20 or so holes but luckily saw a baby rabbit run in as we approached so left well alone,the wife could not believe it when we were on time for lunch.

Rain stopped ,so out we go,1st set hob in hunting,screaming,"here we go"then baby bunnies in all directions,we managed a couple from another set & then called it a day.Also checked out a quite large set of 20 or so holes but luckily saw a baby rabbit run in as we approached so left well alone,the wife could not believe it when we were on time for lunch.

i know it saddens us that the end of the season is just round the corner and we would all like to be out 52 weeks in the year but fair does to ye you realised there was young about and ye left well alone :good:

I was hoping for something like that Bigbob, but reload and I went out yesterday morn and although the Rabbits were there, nothing much would bolt, and it was crawling with young'uns.

It's a crying shame I didn't get there earlier in the season, the farmer is plauged with Rabbits, my Lurcher is too young, so I'll have to take them with the Longnets and the Rifle :rolleyes:

Regards Rob

Guest midnight_runner

they will keep till the season starts again time to put the ferrets to bed :good:

Guest eirnhunter

was out today ferreting in the midlands here in ireland,the morning started off slow with the rabbits at the first burrow just refusing to move,mannaged to get the ferrets out without to much time lost,moved on to a lenght of ditch that had very little cover on it but plenty of trees and stumps,but burrows where teaming with bunnies,ferrets in and off went the action,end result 14 rabbits cought,at least 8 got away,and had to dig to the ferrets 4 times but nothing to major,did not notice any young rabbits about but the does where in the early stages of breeding,might get another go at them before the end of the month but then thats it,the weather is just not the way it used to be.

i went out yesterday bolted 2 babys must have been at least 6 weeks old :( shame its at an end already. got 2 go tomorow just to keep a farmer happy weve only just got the ground so got to show my face to make sure ive still got it next year. if hes not about i might just keep the bucks and let the does go. i hate to see young in them.

We where at a big old place on the friday and put 8 ferrets in and the rabbits where out in less than a minute or it was a spade job. on the saturday we had 4 ferrets in a banking and it was a long slow job waiting on the ferrets getting deep enough to move the rabbits .From now till i finish up hoping it will just be tidying up smaller burrows with a couple of ferrets