running a pup

:hmm: in your opinion what is the best age to run a pup?? i have a 7month old bullxlurcher,i av started to run it on the lamp and av had ppl say its too young an sum say it the right age,what do u think??? Edited by brianb488

Guest silenthunter
:hmm: in your opinion what is the best age to run a pup?? i have a 7month old bullxlurcher,i av started to run it on the lamp and av had ppl say its too young an sum say it the right age,what do u think???

it is a bit young still mate being a bully cross i wouldnt run them or any running dog until its at least a year old because their tendunts and bones havent fully devoloped i let mine have a look at 6 months on ferreted rabbits then take them out to watch the other dogs lamping but i wouldnt let them run fully until 12 months mate happyhunting silenthunter......

:hmm: in your opinion what is the best age to run a pup?? i have a 7month old bullxlurcher,i av started to run it on the lamp and av had ppl say its too young an sum say it the right age,what do u think???

[/quote Joints are not set and lungs/heart etc not developed not to mention tendons until the dog reaches 15months which is why you cant race a greyhound under 15 months.

There are a lot of lurchers running now not at there best but not showing obvious signs of injury just because they were run too young.They need to gallop and learn to run.That is very important for there development.But chasing is a diffrent matter.Work running too young is bad physically and mentally. Let the dog have its childhood and enjoy it. Once you have a dog up and running always keep a pup to come on.That way the pressure is off the pup to grow up.Good luck

iv always let my dogs start running around 8months.....and found that they were all more than fine personally dont think you have 2 wait till the dog is 12months to run it....(not been funny just my personal view)