breeding my paterdale

Hi all, have a patterdale bitch that im going to breed this time around and was strongly thinking of breeding her back to her father. He's a good ground dog and i would like to keep the blood lines going. Just woundering have any of you's done it before or no anyone thats done it and what way did the pups turn out . Id like to hear your reply thanks joe

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, have a patterdale bitch that im going to breed this time around and was strongly thinking of breeding her back to her father. He's a good ground dog and i would like to keep the blood lines going. Just woundering have any of you's done it before or no anyone thats done it and what way did the pups turn out . Id like to hear your reply thanks joe

if the father is the best ground dog u can use go four it wont be a problem :thumbs:

we had an accidental mating once were the father mated his daughter,when the pups were born most off them had cleft palate,i asked a vet about it and he said theres a chance it could happen in any mating but the chances are higher when you breed so close,but he said you could get a litter of pups that are all ok,so go for it if hes a good dog just be prepared to cull a few if they turn out deformed.good look :victory:

we had an accidental mating once were the father mated his daughter,when the pups were born most off them had cleft palate,i asked a vet about it and he said theres a chance it could happen in any mating but the chances are higher when you breed so close,but he said you could get a litter of pups that are all ok,so go for it if hes a good dog just be prepared to cull a few if they turn out deformed.good look :victory:

would a cleft palate stop them working??? :no:

deformed iv never seen and we have been breeding pits very close the past couple years :yes:

deformed iv never seen and we have been breeding pits very close the past couple years :yes:

they didnt have any roofs in there mouths so yeh it would stop them working,im only saying what happened to me,there could of been a different reason for them being deformed i just put it down that.

they didnt have any roofs in there mouths so yeh it would stop them working,im only saying what happened to me,there could of been a different reason for them being deformed i just put it down that.

so what if thy have no roofs in there mouths , explane to me why that would stop them.

I HAVE EDITED THIS POST ( i did not think it was that bad to the point of hiting the nose channels. thought the cases were of lesser damage. )

Edited by hang & bang

so what if thy have no roofs in there mouths , explane to me why that would stop them.

the pups would'nt of even survived without a roof in their mouths as they couldnt feed,but even if they did they are working terriers how would you expect them to work to any kind of standard in that condition,i cant believe someone would think a dog could be worked without any roof in their mouth.

Everything that goes into their mouth comes through their nose, they have trouble breathing and eating, etc.. This isnt a bad one but shows the split in the roof of the dogs mouth. they usually die through infection, although some can be repaired or function ok. I board a Bichon Frise with a cleft palate, he drinks water and it comes back down his nose! You have to syringe it down his throat and his food.

Dawn.

post-299-1213811288.jpg

Everything that goes into their mouth comes through their nose, they have trouble breathing and eating, etc.. This isnt a bad one but shows the split in the roof of the dogs mouth. they usually die through infection, although some can be repaired or function ok. I board a Bichon Frise with a cleft palate, he drinks water and it comes back down his nose! You have to syringe it down his throat and his food.

Dawn.

post-299-1213811288.jpg

the pups i had were alot worse than that there nose was turned in and the palate was completely gone.the best thing to do was to put them down.

inbreeding happens in all wild dog packs with no un due effects.just because our dogs are domesticated does,nt mean that the pups will be deformed or abnormal in any way.Breeding close from the best workers you have is the best way to keep the stamp of dog you want.

the pups would'nt of even survived without a roof in their mouths as they couldnt feed,but even if they did they are working terriers how would you expect them to work to any kind of standard in that condition,i cant believe someone would think a dog could be worked without any roof in their mouth.

well iv never had a pup or dog wit that problem i think u were unlucky in that litter as iv line berad and inbread and never came across it , i did not think it was that bad to the point of hiting the nose channels. thought the cases were of lesser damage.

i have a dog which is under shot ,half decent worker ,i also have his daughter which has a good mouth .an accidental mating took place and 4 pups were born 3 were dead the survivor has a bad mouth ,i gave him away and he is used as a ratting dog on a farm but thats all hed ever make , he lacks the spark his father posesses ,i have since used my dog on a decent bitch and took a dog pup as stud fee , his mouth is perfect and he ,at only 6 months looks to posess that spark .what i am trying to say is father to daughter matings are to close and throw more bad traits than good .we owe it to the working breed to try to breed the best and healthiest terriers we can or well end up with dogs like the english bulldog which cant give birth without a cesarian section because the pups heads are to big to pass through the mothers pelvis. and as far as breeding dogs that have cleft pallets good workers i doubt they would ever make as they would have trouble breathing whilst holding their quarry.