They dont call them sly for nothing

Out first light this morning to have a walk round the usual chicken farm .The organic sheds are now spread between two fields ,divided by a hedge.Walking towards the second field i could see a fox walking along the electric fence line in the distance as this field slopes upwards slightly .I knew a squeak would send it packing so decided to stalk closer.The gate to this field was open and to my surprise ,the lad that lets the birds out mornings was still in the field ,lifting shutters on the last shed .Charlie was making his way down to me along the bottem right hand corner of the electric fence and apparently oblivious to the lad only 100 or so yards from him .The fence is the standard 4 foot high stuff ,red plastic and charlie jumped this with ease :whistling: .Makes a mockery of the whole fence to be honest .What happened next was truly not expected .The lad had by now seen the fox but not me ,the fox was now in amongst the most stupid of bird breeds to walk the planet and i could only watch for fear of scaring the lad to death or worst still ,risk a ricochet that could do more than frighten him :thumbdown: Instead of shouting at charlie ,the lad picked up a stone and hurled it at him to which charlie mearly ran to the netting and stopped .The lad never followed up his assault and cheeky charlie ran to the nearest chicken ,grabbed it and jumped the fence back out with the grace of a gazelle.He paused to get a better grip outside the fence and shook the still clucking chicken causing a shower of feathers .I shouted the lads name but not before charlie was off through the stingers and away across the boundary .

hunting002hn2.jpg

The gap in the stingers is where he got through and were still swaying as i got to them?

He deserved that one i think but he is probably on borrowed time !

After chatting to the lad ,i moved on to a favourite spot of mine and co-incidentaly ,of the local roe population.Rounded the corner of a high hedge and wasnt surprised to see a buck and 4 does no less .I ducked back out of sight and set up the bipod for a kneeling position as the grass is tall here .Could still only see the bucks head and neck so after waiting for a doe to move from behind him ,i shot him in the neck .

stalking002tw2.jpg

stalking003ax4.jpg

This last shot shows the veiw back to the corner of the hedge and the mown headlands which are permanent on this farm and which the deer love . :victory:

Edited by foxdropper

Nice one 'FD',and we all know that Charlie will soon be just a photo on here very shortly.........as long as you can find it mind lol(sorry mate) :whistling: ......................Martin.