HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR BULL CROSSES TO MATURE

HI ALL,

JUST WANT DIFFERENT VIEWS ON HOW LONG IT TAKES ON AVERAGE FOR BULL CROSSES TO MATURE IN HEAD, I HAVE HAD A HALF CROSS 20 YEARS AGO THAT WAS VERY MATURE IN HEAD AT 9 MONTHS TO TACKLE ANYTHING IF I LET HIM, I HAVE A 3/4 BULL AT MOMENT WHOS 27 ATS AT 12 MONTHS BUT IS STILL NO WHERE READY IN HEAD ,VERY PUPPYISH STILL, I HAD APBTS FROM ED RIED A DOG AND BITCH 25 YEARS AGO ,THE DOG TOOK UNTIL 2 UNTIL HE WAS MATURE IN HEAD THE BITCH MAYBE A YEAR.WHATS THE GENRAL VIEW . THANKS

yes mate ,i know that ,what i mean on average is do bulls take longer than other breeds on average to mature,i know every dog is different but on average, sorry if i explined wrong,

i aint an expert just my opinion, but bull crosses dont stop till there eighteen months and working them to hard before this will blow them, cus even from 6 months+ they will have the heart and the prey drive to work hard!! im not preaching its just i have had to learn the hard way ruining good dogs in myyouth and having them dy young!! but as always every dog is different i find the best method is let the dog tell you how mature it is cus mental matureness is very different to physical mature ness and at 10-12 months a bull cross is physically capable of takling all quarry, but is it mentally ready?

yes mate ,i know that ,what i mean on average is do bulls take longer than other breeds on average to mature,i know every dog is different but on average, sorry if i explined wrong,

well yes they do, they get as big as other dogs but as they have bull in them the bones and head take longer tomature. its a good time till the head catches up with the body!!

i aint an expert just my opinion, but bull crosses dont stop till there eighteen months and working them to hard before this will blow them, cus even from 6 months+ they will have the heart and the prey drive to work hard!! im not preaching its just i have had to learn the hard way ruining good dogs in myyouth and having them dy young!! but as always every dog is different i find the best method is let the dog tell you how mature it is cus mental matureness is very different to physical mature ness and at 10-12 months a bull cross is physically capable of takling all quarry, but is it mentally ready?

I totally agree.......................

never had a bull cross but i reckon a pointer cross takes longer....lol.......mines three and i can now see he's just maturing....but i've had to good seasons so far he may have been harder on the foxes i shoot if i'd waited longer but he's only lost 1 or 2 out of 250 i shot in the last two years, he'll always hold them at bay or grab them and take them out from the field edge and watch them but rarely finish them off but thats all i need and we've had great fun doing it!!!!

Guest Taffybull

spot on

I think bulls mature faster than any other dogs most are ready at 12 months but there are always the odd one who needs some encouragement and those ones need an older dog to follow and then it dont take them long to learn what they are bred for i've had some 1st crosses at 6 months who will do all quary even the puppiesh ones will do it when u get them out on the field they are a diffrent dog u will be suprised just let him go with an older dog and an im sure he will be fine.

I think bulls mature faster than any other dogs most are ready at 12 months but there are always the odd one who needs some encouragement and those ones need an older dog to follow and then it dont take them long to learn what they are bred for i've had some 1st crosses at 6 months who will do all quary even the puppiesh ones will do it when u get them out on the field they are a diffrent dog u will be suprised just let him go with an older dog and an im sure he will be fine.

Mine needed held back, he was game for anything from a very young age. And was allowed to do a bit from 6/7 month(not running). Like you said 'the rock' the other dogs can help to encourage them at first, but some want to get stuck in, others dont.

As for puppyish, he is still a fecking Dick now and he is approaching three. But a TOTALLY different dog once out in the field.

He is my first bull x, so I can only go by my experiences with this dog.

ATB DnN

Guest merlin

take each one as it comes,some will be fast learning some slow.don't fall into the"it's a bull x,it'll do this and that"syndrome.it's a dog that will mature if,and when,it's ready.

Thanks for your veiws, ive had apbts 25 years ago and bull crosses since then , my 28 month bitch 3/8/5/8 doing every thing i want and more, il be no rush with the 3/4 bull hell have as much time as it takes, thanks again for your veiws fellows.just wanted to know what every one else thought i personely think bull crosses take long time to mature in head if they follow the bull, thanks