Spearing flat fish

i got my wetsuit on for the first time this year. Also i made a wooden spear from instrutions i got online. I took it down to the sea at low tide were there are some pools. There were guys from the north drinking and fishing, they were snikering away when i went in the water with my homemade spear.

I was in 20 mins and speared two flat fish, one got away. The trick is to pin them down.

One was about a foot long the other just under a foot. They were hard to fillet at that size and didnt have any taste. Im going to try it again only on bigger fish, and ive seen some massive ones down there when the tide is right. Good craic anyway.

I am suprised that the fish did not have any taste as normally the smaller/younger something is the more tender it is, so if you get the big ones then they will be awfull.

Let me say though I know nothing at all about fish or fishing.

But in general smaller younger more tasty.

Good luck with your fishing and keep your hook sharp :thumbs:

I saw this on a programme about the solomon islands. You attached a length of rubber tubing to the spear and wrap it around your wrist and pull back making tension on the elastic, just like a catapult, and grip the spear. Release your grip and the spear should shoot out and stab the fish, much faster than your arm could move under water.

nice one mate....................we used to and still do occaisionaly....tread for flattys( called flooks) in the estuary channel at low tide......they lie just under the sand and the trick is to stand on their tails a finger in the gills and threw em out onto the sand.........used to get 4/5 at a time but now we only get one every 4/5 times we go!! maybe the spear is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good crack though!!!!!!!!!

keep it up mate

sean

Edited by SEAN3513

Wow, now thats interesting, ive got waders that come up to me manly chest :whistling: can anyone give some more tips on this i.e techniques etc ?, what about near rock formations, whats the best tides ?

and also some tips on repairing waders for when i surely will stab my own foot