Shooting and eating rooks and Crows

Farmer wants me to go and shoot some rooks and crows which are making a meal of his field that he has just drilled. I just hope I get some pigeon as well.

My question is, is there any meat on the breasts of these birds (rooks and crows) to try and offset the price of the cartridges I might as well feed the dog.

Are they worth stripping the crown off or what ??

Does anyone eat em ?

People still eat young rooks, the squabs in the nest as they are about to start flying but the older rooks and carrions will be tough as old boots and taste awful to boot.

One other thing, the fact that the farmer has asked you to shoot crows and you are hoping to shoot pigeon will not bode well with him, he has asked you a specific favour. The choice between a crow or a pigeon and really you should shoot the crow, they are what is causing damage at the moment.

A fleeting pigeon with nothing else about, then it matters little.

I would not feed crow meat to the dogs the stuff they carry is unbelievable and its unadvisable.

Regards

SS

I would not feed crow meat to the dogs the stuff they carry is unbelievable and its unadvisable.

Cant see any reason not to myself...Dogs go ratting and tear them to bits getting rat shit and god knows what else in there mouth, if that dosent do them any harm then a few crows wont.

Cant see any reason not to myself...Dogs go ratting and tear them to bits getting rat shit and god knows what else in there mouth, if that dosent do them any harm then a few crows wont.

But feeding it to them everyday? They dont eat rats everyday do they.

I can see what nutritional value the dogs would get from Crow meat, sure theres plenty of Iron in it but I cant imagine them getting the vitamins and minerals they need to keep fit and healthy.

But feeding it to them everyday? They dont eat rats everyday do they.

I can see what nutritional value the dogs would get from Crow meat, sure theres plenty of Iron in it but I cant imagine them getting the vitamins and minerals they need to keep fit and healthy.

I dont see what makes crows so bad, what do they carry? I wouldnt fancy eating it but wouldnt say no if it was served up in frount of me lol.... I cant see much difference in feeding it than most other meat.

i seen a programme once with gordon ramsay on it and i swear he was on about eatinc crows and rooks and watever!! apparently there a delicacy in sum japanese place or something! :sick: wouldnt catch me eating one mind!!!

have you ever tried to sneak up on a rookery? you have to be invisible and smell like bark,

you get one chance a year when the young flig the nest and gather in groups close by, then its like shootin fish in a barrel, failing that just before the young leave the nest you can shoot into the bottom of the nest with a catapult and the young will hop onto a branch ajacent to the nest, then you get a chance to shoot them, and as for taste!! well! rather you than me.

Thanks for everyones opinion I will let you know how I get on and I might even taste one and let you know first hand.

When I was in the trenches we would have loved a bit of rook pie :whistling:

You dont know you are born :victory: