Hows your coordination?

just something i found in a random website -

http://www.abc.net.au/science/surfingscien...alchallenge.htm

Physical Challenge

If you find these challenges easy, give yourself a pat on the back. Oh, and why don’t you rub your head while you’re at it … smarty-pants!

1. CHALLENGE 1

physicalchallenge01.jpg

Hold your hands out in front of you. Point your index fingers inwards so they are nearly touching. Now move your hands in opposite circles so that your fingers meet up again. Not easy is it?

2. CHALLENGE 2

physicalchallenge02.jpg

Sit on a chair and move one foot in small clock-wise circles. Continue to do this. Now try writing a figure 8 in mid air with your hand.

Did you notice your foot doing anything weird?

what's going on?

Don’t panic! These challenges don’t really tell you anything about how coordinated you are. While they appear to be fairly simple, nearly everyone finds them difficult.

Doing one thing with one hand or foot, and something else with another requires coordination. Playing the piano or classical guitar requires incredible coordination because each hand has to do very different things at precisely the right time. Juggling and many sports also require excellent coordination.

We know that some people naturally have better coordination than others. Perhaps that’s why tennis champions get paid such ridiculous amounts of money. But what makes some people more naturally coordinated than others is not completely understood. Fitness is obviously important and we know coordination can be improved with practice.

New brain imaging techniques might help scientists to find answers to this fascinating question. I can hardly wait for the results because the more we learn about the amazing human brain, the closer I will be to knowing why I am so spectacularly bad at tennis!

As a teacher, I often get the kids in the class to do similar activities at the beginning of the lesson. Not just me, I hasten to add, it's a nationwide thing. It's called Brain Gym and we use it to encourage the use of both hemispheres of the brain. The kids love it. I work one day a week in an infant school and it's great seeing four and five year olds trying to master some of the things; not quite as tricky as the photos above though.