The demise of my first deer

After the 45 minute drive down to Muck Wenlock garage to meet the gamekeeper Phil Lynch it was another few miles to the keeper’s cottage. The cottage is set well back from the small country in a cosy clearing in the woods. Surrounding the cottage are all of the things you would expect in such an idyllic setting. Working dogs in runs, pigs in their pens and three peacocks strutting their stuff in the yard.After assuring him that we were decent marksmen on 4 inch targets at the 100 yard mark from a benchrest set up on the grounds, we were finally off on our first deer stalk. Rattling back down the driveway in our Kawasaki 4x4 cart it is a relatively short drive down to the fields and woods where the high seats are situated. Phil decided that the first position was unsuitable due to the sinking sun affecting vision. Obviously staring down a Schmidt & Bender specifically designed for low light levels was going to do my retina no favours whatsoever. The gate next to us leads into the woods so it is about two minutes down a leafy lane in the utility vehicle and we are there. The green steel high seat beckons and we oblige. After settling down and loading up the .308 Phil clearly explains the lie of the land around us and where he expects the deer to cross our field of fire. After the recent storms and cold wet weather today is as perfect a day as any spring day I can remember the sunlight filtering in golden shafts through the wood as still as a church on a Wednesday morning. The silence only punctuated by a bull bellowing in the distance. The wait was on. Scanning the woods through our field glasses for what seemed like two minutes but was nearer an hour Phil whispered “There†indicating directly to out twelve o’clock. Flipping the scope cover I peered down the scope and sure enough there he was in all his glory a two year old Fallow deer at around a hundred yards out. Drawing a deep breath and exhaling slowly I lined the mildot on the edge of his shoulder blade and brushed my finger tip on the trigger. Unaware of my intentions he promptly obliged by moving a half yard to his left and behind a tree. Steadying my breathing I waited. He soon continued on his slow journey to the left and presented himself again with his head up and looking directly towards us. I considered a shot between the eyes but the fellow was feeding so I didn’t want to risk wounding him. Just as I made that decision he turned broadside a brief readjustment back to my original point of aim and a steady pull on the Blaser’s trigger was followed by the hiss from the T8 moderator. He dropped on the spot. A quick pull on the straight pull bolt and I was right back on the target, watching carefully for him to stand back up and run. He rose up then sank back into the leafy bedding that was now his final resting place. My first deer of many to come had fell.

A huge thanks to Phil without who it would have not been possible and the Minsterly Deerstalking Club for having me as a member. :clapper:

Edited by firepower

Well done that man - the next one will still give you the adrenalin rush, I have shot scores of deer and still can watch my hand quiver after I have taken the shot !!

Good rifle you are using - I have 2 Blasers. Its strange how they are perhaps one of the most internationally popular rifles, yet I don't come across many people in the UK who have them - must be the cost perhaps - they are certainly accurate and reliable.

Do you homeload your ammo for this 308?

Peter

Thanks guys :) It really was a huge rush. I have shot a lot of wildlife, rabbits, geese, pidgeon etc and deer seemed a logical step along with my shooting. It is quite amazing how a decision that you make yourself can crank up the mental pressure. I woke up at about five in the mornng and wondered whether it was within me to actually carry through with my decision. I carried on with the self doubt up until the time I sat in the high seat and looked around me. I guess that is when I finally realised that I really was born to hunt. I feel sorry for all of those that moan about hunting being cruel while they buy pre packed parcels of meat from the supermarkets. Long live the hunt.

As for the Blaser, what a rifle. My FAC will land tomorrow God willing and I have a large deposit on a Remmy 700 Police Sniper model. I guess the cert will be sent back post haste to have another .308 added for deer only :notworthy:

Edited by firepower
Guest dog on

nothing to do with shooting .but a bit of good advice ,dont put the names of places where you go you are telling every body where the deer are and you wont have that many to shoot next time