Teckels/ dachshunds

Does anyone Work these, or know of anyone that works these? I am thinking of getting myself a couple to flush Rabbits for my H/H

YIS Gary

No idea about anyone useing Datshunds, I spoke to a bloke the other evening after my Gos was killed by my terriers and he told me about a jack russle he had used all winter with a male Harris, then for some reason in the summer the Jack nailed his Harris on the lawn and killed it :(, speaking from a bad experience and advice I don't think I would never mix any Terriers or such with Hawks again! a GWP bitch without doubt will be my next dog for Falconry :good:.

Tony

IMO...terrier's working with bird's is a timebomb waiting to go of with only one outcome.. :( ..

They may get along fine from a day to day basis hunting and working together...but as soon as the terrier get's too close to the bird it will be nailed or the bird will feck of out the way..but if they do manage too connect the natural instinct for a good terrier is to fight back against whatever has just caused it pain..and that is a dead bird..

Stick with gun dog's they are bred for these situation's

Millet

Thanks for the replys

In the US Minature Dachshunds are the most popular Rabbit/Hawking Dogs

I have just read "Rabbit Hawkers Dogs" which has an excellent chapter by Teddy Moritz, who is i am lead to believe the Leading Authority on Working Minature Dachshunds in the US. She maintains that the minatures despite their frail looks are " tough little dogs " that still retain the hunting instinct and merely require, "exposure to game" She states that" in over twenty years she has never had one grab a hawk or fight a hawk for the quarry"

My main reason for trying a Dachshund, other than the challenge of training a "different breed" is that my hawking land consists of treeless areas of salt-marsh with large areas of very dense thorn bush, that will require a terrier/cocker sized dog. I dislike spaniels and i feel i will get better slips with a Dachshund as they will not be able to keep up with a bolting rabbit

YIS Gary