hancock lurchers

Personally I like the look of his dogs and they seem to be fairly priced. He doesn't appear to make any claims about performance in the field so as a newcomer it's hard to understand why there always seems to be so much flak regarding DH breeding.

Even as a johnny-come-lately lurcher novice I've heard of Hancock dogs. Like it or not lurchers are a product and Hancock is a brand name. But surely breeding dogs is always going to be subject to nature? The more you breed it stands to reason that you'll have a higher number of pups that don't make the grade. With a DH dog the buyer has an idea of what he's buying and I'm sure if a pup had some sort of congenital defect like being deaf he would stand by his name and sort it - like any brand name he has a reputation to uphold.

Anyone who has such a long-term commitment is bound to gather some detractors, unsatisfied buyers and sour grapes along the way. But lots of folks buy his dogs so he must surely be doing something right.

There's no guarantees that even a pup born to the hardest working parents is going to be an outstanding dog - the thousands of lurchers in rescues up and down the country is proof that a previous owner's expectations weren't met. Even in the short time I've been interested in lurchers it seems to me that so many dogs, probably with proven working pedigrees, get passed on for whatever reason. Why would DH lurchers be any different?

BTW I've never met him or own a DH dog - just wondering why the Hancock debate is a perennial hot topic. Surely a man who has made a real and lasting contribution to the popularity of lurchers should be recognised and applauded in the UK.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smashygadge
Personally I like the look of his dogs and they seem to be fairly priced. He doesn't appear to make any claims about performance in the field so as a newcomer it's hard to understand why there always seems to be so much flak regarding DH breeding.

Even as a johnny-come-lately lurcher novice I've heard of Hancock dogs. Like it or not lurchers are a product and Hancock is a brand name. But surely breeding dogs is always going to be subject to nature? The more you breed it stands to reason that you'll have a higher number of pups that don't make the grade. With a DH dog the buyer has an idea of what he's buying and I'm sure if a pup had some sort of congenital defect like being deaf he would stand by his name and sort it - like any brand name he has a reputation to uphold.

Anyone who has such a long-term commitment is bound to gather some detractors, unsatisfied buyers and sour grapes along the way. But lots of folks buy his dogs so he must surely be doing something right.

There's no guarantees that even a pup born to the hardest working parents is going to be an outstanding dog - the thousands of lurchers in rescues up and down the country is proof that a previous owner's expectations weren't met. Even in the short time I've been interested in lurchers it seems to me that so many dogs, probably with proven working pedigrees, get passed on for whatever reason. Why would DH lurchers be any different?

BTW I've never met him or own a DH dog - just wondering why the Hancock debate is a perennial hot topic. Surely a man who has made a real and lasting contribution to the popularity of lurchers should be recognised and applauded in the UK.

here here well written :victory:

lets say mate and being trufthul f hanckocks were that good i wouldnt be looking half the country to get a good stud dog for my colie line bred bitch and mass producers wil have good ones , but not in the same class as a tried and tested strain done it and got the tee shirt , i wouldntgive d hanckock my money etc all the best the black country sting as they called it years ago

Guest smashygadge
grendal your spot on. i brought a collie x greyhound of dh afew year back and he told me they wouldnt be much good for hare because of the breeding. but i took achance and on her first season she took 35 hares pre ban. and hundreds of rabbits.

mother to mine hancock was taking hare no bother and mine would 2 pre ban lol missed a big bunny last night by a whisker :thumbs:

grendal your spot on. i brought a collie x greyhound of dh afew year back and he told me they wouldnt be much good for hare because of the breeding. but i took achance and on her first season she took 35 hares pre ban. and hundreds of rabbits.

mother to mine hancock was taking hare no bother and mine would 2 pre ban lol missed a big bunny last night by a whisker :thumbs:

really, bet thats a good dog its april the 12th :thumbdown::thumbdown:
Guest smashygadge

really, bet thats a good dog its april the 12th :thumbdown::thumbdown:

my permission dont want me to stop trader and first he has ran only 13 month old no harm done.i have to keep my permission happy if that means hunting out of so called rabbit season their aint one. :tongue2:

Maybe DH lurchers are as good as the next mans afterall i was happy to buy one.

My problem was with the answer he gave about an ear fault .From a man who has bred these dogs for many years plus written books about the breed i find it hard to beleive he does not know what a dogs ear canal looks like as my 9 year old son could see the problem. :wallbash:

Guest smashygadge
Maybe DH lurchers are as good as the next mans afterall i was happy to buy one.

My problem was with the answer he gave about an ear fault .From a man who has bred these dogs for many years plus written books about the breed i find it hard to beleive he does not know what a dogs ear canal looks like as my 9 year old son could see the problem. :wallbash:

it is unfortunate you had the problem bradley and dont no what reply you got ,did he not offer a replacment or just sent you on your way as most dogs have a problem somtime or other.and thinking about it i dont think if you bought a pup of anyone else

they would offer support aftercare.as im sure its sold as seen basis :thumbs:

Guest smashygadge
read,sir stoms progress, by world hunters on this forum, :big_boss:

well still be lamping now and through the so called * off season* , some people have to , landowners will be more than welcome to find someone who will , and they will be plenty of takers im sure ... :victory:

thats right bud just had a phone call now of a landowner and stated their appering again as they do.at end of the day rabbit weather winter spring summer now breed allyear round and my permision like me their all year to keep them of :victory: