corgi retrive

hi guy this may sound supid to you

but is it possible to teach a 2 year old pembroke corgi to retrive

air gun and catapult shot game

this may sound a silly question to you as he hardly the hunting dog type

but it is all i have as we have 2 corgis as family dogs as my mum loves them (she grew up with corgis)

i have tryed to persuade mum and dad to let me have a dog of my own but they say that 2 dogs are enough

so i am trying to make the best out of a bad situation

is it posible?

thanks

brecon3

im no expert but recently i posted a similar thread about my 3 yr old whippet staff if you search on the boards you will find it i think it is called help with retrieving or something. i have been training her for about a month and a half i think and she has rely come along. she will retrieve a dummy 99% of the time now. i am still going over the basics but it seems that it is possible to train dogs that are not genetically predispositioned to retrieve. its alot of work but good fun at the same time. give it a shot as i said read the replies to my cry for help and it should help

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...showtopic=45755

ps prepare for some abuse about the catapult game thing. i think it is frowned upon on here

Edited by sgtbenadair

Put the time and effort into getting the retrieve right. I would be careful about bringing them into the field. Make sure they are stock broke.

Practice having one retrieving a rabbit pelt, dead bird or squirrell etc. Train one dog at a time. Two dogs are more difficlut to control. They feed off of each others excitement and will become disobediant. Have fun! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
hi guy this may sound supid to you

but is it possible to teach a 2 year old pembroke corgi to retrive

air gun and catapult shot game

this may sound a silly question to you as he hardly the hunting dog type

but it is all i have as we have 2 corgis as family dogs as my mum loves them (she grew up with corgis)

i have tryed to persuade mum and dad to let me have a dog of my own but they say that 2 dogs are enough

so i am trying to make the best out of a bad situation

is it posible?

thanks

brecon3

Hi, no it doesn't sound stupid. But it will be dificult. I have trained a Bedlington to retrieve, please see my reply under "help needed".

Good luck