IS IT LEGAL

A FARM I HAVE PERMISSION TO SHOOT ON IS APPROX 550 ACRES TOTAL AND HAS 150 ACRES OF WOODLAND.. DURING NIGHTS OUT LAMPING FOXES AND RABBITS, I HAVE ENCOUNTERED QUITE A FEW ROE DEER AND WOULD PROBABLY SEE A FEW ON EVERY OUTING. I USE A K HORNET FOR FOXES AND I KNOW IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE THIS ON DEER, AND ALSO TO SHOOT THEM AT NIGHT , UP UNTILL LAST WEEK I HAD NOT MENTIONED THE DEER TO THE FARMER BUT OBVIOUSLY HE KNOWS THEY ARE THERE--ANY WAY I TOOK THE BULL BY THE HORNS AND ASKED HIM IF I COULD TAKE MY MATE ON THE GROUND AND TRY FOR SOME VENISON, HE SAID" YES NO PROBLEM I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE HAD ONE BEFORE NOW"!!!!TYPICAL?? MY MATE HAS THE REQUIRED CALIBRE RIFLE, WE WOULD MAKE SURE QUARRY IS IN SEASON, AND WE WOULD STALK BY DAY.. I NEED SOME HELP WITH THE NEXT BIT---EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE VERBAL PERMISSION FROM THE FARMER WHO WORKS THE GROUND, HE HAS ALSO TOLD US THAT HE IS A TENNANT FARMER AND ACTUALLY RENTS THE LAND---IS HIS PERMISSION ALL I LEGALLY REQUIRE TO TAKE THE DEER????? :icon_redface:

CHEERS

TODAY IS ONLY YESTERDAYS TOMORROW....

Ok,

The tenant farmer may or may not hold the shooting rights over the land he farms, this may have been reserved by the landowner. This means that if he doesnt own the shooting rights and you have been shooting there you dont actually have permission either and you or your friend cant shoot the deer.

If his tenancy agreement says he owns the sporting rights then you are in the clear and if your friend has the legal calibre/condition on his FAC then he can shoot the deer there as long as the tenant says so.

Written permission would be a good thing but it is not essential. Also, if your friend has a closed FAC then he will need to contact the licensing dept to see if the land is suitable for the calibre of weapon.

Also, if you are intending to shoot the deer aswell with your friends rifle make sure you have read about the "Estate Condition", try BASC website, this gives you the legal position of using someone elses rifle.

You will need to be thouroughly sure about your position before you fire another shot on the ground otherwise you could be prosecuted for armed trespass and poaching, this is in an extreme case but better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps

ss06

the tennet farmer can give you permission for crop protection in which you would be allowed to take these deer but only if they are damaging his crop's

The ONLY person who can give you permission to shoot the deer is the landowner .Deer do not come under game shooting rights and damage to crops is not necessary to get permission to shoot them .

Ok,

The tenant farmer may or may not hold the shooting rights over the land he farms, this may have been reserved by the landowner. This means that if he doesnt own the shooting rights and you have been shooting there you dont actually have permission either and you or your friend cant shoot the deer.

If his tenancy agreement says he owns the sporting rights then you are in the clear and if your friend has the legal calibre/condition on his FAC then he can shoot the deer there as long as the tenant says so.

Written permission would be a good thing but it is not essential. Also, if your friend has a closed FAC then he will need to contact the licensing dept to see if the land is suitable for the calibre of weapon.

Also, if you are intending to shoot the deer aswell with your friends rifle make sure you have read about the "Estate Condition", try BASC website, this gives you the legal position of using someone elses rifle.

You will need to be thouroughly sure about your position before you fire another shot on the ground otherwise you could be prosecuted for armed trespass and poaching, this is in an extreme case but better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps

ss06

thanks for your reply, i will ask farmer to sign a permission statement for me, and i will speak to him regarding ownership of shooting rights as you say better to be safe than sorry :icon_redface:

cheers

No probs, but you just need to find out who owns the sporting rights, and once you know then just ask whoever is concerned.

Which part of S.Wales are you then?

In West Glam

ss06

CHEERS MATE, i will take your advice before i sight on a deer!! i am from rhymney vally--- post code gwent..

Thanks

No probs, but you just need to find out who owns the sporting rights, and once you know then just ask whoever is concerned.

In West Glam

ss06

CHEERS MATE, i will take your advice before i sight on a deer!! i am from rhymney vally--- post code gwent..

Thanks

Plenty of deer up there! Just been talking to a friend whos been culling in Margam Park, Port Talbot, shot plenty of deer but keeps finding carcases of poached deer shot with 22 rimfires and hunted with long dogs. Pain in the arse they are.

They kill the deer and just chop off the bits they want, he found one with no back legs today.

Such a waste. Anyway, good luck with learning the art of stalking.

ss06

In West Glam

ss06

Thanks

Plenty of deer up there! Just been talking to a friend whos been culling in Margam Park, Port Talbot, shot plenty of deer but keeps finding carcases of poached deer shot with 22 rimfires and hunted with long dogs. Pain in the arse they are.

They kill the deer and just chop off the bits they want, he found one with no back legs today.

Such a waste. Anyway, good luck with learning the art of stalking.

ss06

CHEERS NATE