bad nail proplem

any ideas? my bitch after a nights lamping shatterd her nail leaving quick exposed. very painful!!!

all i could do to help was to cut quick back to the healthy nail stem. cept clean gave plenty of rest etc but now the quick is growing at a rapid rate outside the nail like a mushroom. all the time the bitch is rested in the kenel and the foot is kept dry no laimness but as soon as she has Any excersise it becomes very painful. wanted to know if anybody els has had a similar problem? :search:

Guest smashygadge
any ideas? my bitch after a nights lamping shatterd her nail leaving quick exposed. very painful!!!

all i could do to help was to cut quick back to the healthy nail stem. cept clean gave plenty of rest etc but now the quick is growing at a rapid rate outside the nail like a mushroom. all the time the bitch is rested in the kenel and the foot is kept dry no laimness but as soon as she has Any excersise it becomes very painful. wanted to know if anybody els has had a similar problem? :search:

Guest smashygadge

i had same problem mate but left it to heal its self i no that the inner becomes exposed and causes probs. but will come round i layed my bitch off for2 month. took her out yesterday and she was off

like a train again. i found when the nail had shattered well by bitches broke clean off was to cut all

rest of nails a good way down as all brittle and without the nail u could see she was un balanced .as they tend

to rest hard with the nail as balance.only thing i bathed foot in was salt and water no fancy stuff

as that tends to leave foot soft as is same for cuts no fancy treatments as u are for evermore coming

home with her cut best way ive found let it heal in its own time keep clean with salt water lot less cuts

as they harden the area up .but if using the fancy vet stuff leaves the dogs skin nails soft etc and good luck oh and i found mine would play on it 2 until lead came out lol then excitment takes over . :thumbs:

How long are you letting the nails get? If the nails are touching the floor when the dog is stood on a flat surface(tiled floor)then they are too long,so keep trimming them and the quick will recede back a bit,and,should make for a stronger foot alround.

atb.............................Martin.

Guest smashygadge
How long are you letting the nails get? If the nails are touching the floor when the dog is stood on a flat surface(tiled floor)then they are too long,so keep trimming them and the quick will recede back a bit,and,should make for a stronger foot alround.

atb.............................Martin.

as i say martin take all nails back :thumbs:

I also do not like the nail touching the ground when the dog stands up. In my opinion nails should be around 8mm. When trimming back I always trim a little at a time being careful not to cut the quick (nerve) as this is extremely painful to the dog. If the nail has been pulled off leaving the quick, soak in warm salt water, the nail will grow back forming a film around the quick and then it will harden.

salt water is a great healer for this type of injury try get a container full an soak the vdogs foot in it should clear right up!! when haely again plenty of road work keep the nails filed down naturaly :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
i would just have the toe taken of doesnt usualy affect the dogs ability and save's mucking about doesnt cost much from a decent running dog vet neather :good:

Fecking 'ell Kreet!...That's a bit drastic just for a broken nail :laugh: ....

• 1 month later...

if you have the hole toe of then the dog shouldnt limp on any ground iv seen open race dogs with toe's missing . i had one who had no tail was docket to about 2 inche's no idea why he had a toe missing aswell and he done the track record and beat his own record againe a month later on our local track . my mate had a fawn dog at the same time who also had no tail was weird iv never at any other time in my life even heard of greyhounds with no tails never mind a decent class racer you would think the tail would have been used to balance etc round corners. anyway if the nail persisted in growing in that manor and i couldnt run my dog id have the toe removed your only talking a month to 6 weeks and the dog would be running againe with no worries on the nail growing back at all.

regards kris.