air rifle maintainence

hi all, my weihrauch (i think the model) hw95 (its a bit dated but does the job) is starting to make a twangy sort of noise when fired, is there anything i should do like greasing the spring or something, or is it time to buy a new one. p.s it still seems to have the same firepower but 1 shot and the rabbits are off, where usually they'd just prick theyre ears.

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/kickbox..._b20_album.html

This link will refer you to a stripdown for a B20 which is just about the same internally as your HW.

If memory serves, this stripdown negelects to mention the removal of the block just ahead of the trigger, which has to come off to get the spring out.

Sounds like you need a new spring & a relube.

You will need a spring compressor to get a new spring in, so if you haven't got one or don't feel competent, take it to a gunsmith. Usual caveats about don't blame me if you lose a finger apply!

You could go for a V-match kit but they're around £70 whereas a replacement spring on it's own is under £20. Mind you, it's also going to be a good idea to replace the piston seal at the same time so that's some further cost. Maybe that v-match isn't sounding such bad value for money after all. LOL

Look afetr it & your HW will last a lifetime.

Edited by SteveieP

thanks for that steviep. although i could botch a spring compressor i think i might send it to a gunsmith with the dangers involved. if my gun is in top working order would a modern co2 gun be stronger or just quieter. i only ask as my grazing land is getting overridden with rabbits which are ripping the grass up and digging holes everywhere (not good for my horses). i dont consider my shot to be too bad as i rarely miss but i shot one today and it did a back flip, squeal and legged it leaving me thinking its perhaps my guns not to scratch. im using yellow plastic with ally tipped head pellets (i thought they looked good for the purpose). please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. :blink:

oh ok, just so everyones clear the only reason for doing anything with my gun is due to the strange twangy noise it makes when fired - not to modify it in any way. i only ask my questions as im trying to evaluate whether to cut my losses or stick with the old bessy.

oh ok, just so everyones clear the only reason for doing anything with my gun is due to the strange twangy noise it makes when fired - not to modify it in any way. i only ask my questions as im trying to evaluate whether to cut my losses or stick with the old bessy.

if you're happy with old bessy, then I'd say to get it into a gunsmith and all will be well :thumbs: a good springer is as good as any PCP :thumbs:

thanks mad al, my last question. as mentioned if the spring is changed etc then the power will change. should the gunsmiths be able to check it is still within a legal limit (whatever it is). the last thing i want is someone trying to sell me a new gun if the one ive got is strong and legal.

thanks mad al, my last question. as mentioned if the spring is changed etc then the power will change. should the gunsmiths be able to check it is still within a legal limit (whatever it is). the last thing i want is someone trying to sell me a new gun if the one ive got is strong and legal.

yep, the gunsmith will check it for you :thumbs:

To clarify, I'm suggesting replacement parts to restore the ware & tear items on an older gun as a means to cure an operational problem & restore it' proper function. This is maintenance, not tuning & the posted link does not deal with tuning issues either. Indeed, for the most part the link is looking at the adjustment of the trigger.

New spring, seals & a lube job or if you want to go the extra mile the V-Match kit.

In either case consult a gunsmith if you're not happy as to your competency or the lack of a spring compressor.

Either way your HW can be brought back on-song for a modest outlay.

Co2 is quieter but likely to be a tad less powerful than your restored HW.

The SMK XS78 (aka QB78) is a Co2 with a strong American following but of which I have no personal experience. General reviews are that it's reasonably robust, fairly accurate but that out-of-the-box it's not likely to exceed 11fpe.

So for < £100 you could give one a try, but I'd just stick with the HW.

Give them wabbits the good news

I echo Bunny bouncers point

Feed it some AA Fields or Accupels or maybe RWS Superdomes.

I favor the AA's as the heavier of those mentioned.

Plenty of proper domed head, lead pellets to chose from, it's what the gun was built to use & will give you the best results