Guest spud.

shot 3s mate, i do full choke at around 30 yards. could do further but you know it will kill at that range easy. have never heard ov a curfew like? i am allowed [bANNED TEXT] ever i want.....but pic the windy nights as it does make a noise lol.

Guest JohnGalway

Yep people do use shotguns :yes: Opinions on the questions you've posted will differ also. Here's my tuppence worth. Get as close as possible, don't shoot past 40 yards. I reccomend BB carts around 36gm weight. Choke, I've used Modified (3/4) and Full.

I'll let others talk about UK law. But, I use a Lightforce 140 Lance or 170 Striker on my shotgun, they do an underbarrel mount so you can clip it onto the barrel or use as handheld. I do both, just depends on the situation I find myself in.

Seeing as you need to get close, you'll need your wits about you regarding noise, wind direction, moon, not siluhetting yourself against lights of a town/village or crest of a hill on a bright night. There have been a number of topics posted on this subject and it will be worth your while using the search function, try different keywords and see what you come up with ;)

Yep people do use shotguns :yes: Opinions on the questions you've posted will differ also. Here's my tuppence worth. Get as close as possible, don't shoot past 40 yards. I reccomend BB carts around 36gm weight. Choke, I've used Modified (3/4) and Full.

I'll let others talk about UK law. But, I use a Lightforce 140 Lance or 170 Striker on my shotgun, they do an underbarrel mount so you can clip it onto the barrel or use as handheld. I do both, just depends on the situation I find myself in.

Seeing as you need to get close, you'll need your wits about you regarding noise, wind direction, moon, not siluhetting yourself against lights of a town/village or crest of a hill on a bright night. There have been a number of topics posted on this subject and it will be worth your while using the search function, try different keywords and see what you come up with ;)

ive got a lightforce 140 where would i get a mount from on the net ive also got a logun smart lamp that i use on my air rifle but i dont think it will be powerful enough

Hi i started out using my Beretta 687 12G with 3" no3 or BB shot for foxes, but found getting them really close quite difficult. I had 3 foxes this way then went FAC and now use my .22-250

As already said big shot size+tight choke ( 3/4 or full) and get em as close as you can (<40yds)

Good luck mate

Happy foxing

ATB

Daz

Hi i started out using my Beretta 687 12G with 3" no3 or BB shot for foxes, but found getting them really close quite difficult. I had 3 foxes this way then went FAC and now use my .22-250

As already said big shot size+tight choke ( 3/4 or full) and get em as close as you can (<40yds)

Good luck mate

Happy foxing

ATB

Daz

thanks

will be alot easyer with a rim fire

Pretty spot on I'd say...there is no law about lamping foxes as far as I'm aware but I simply do not use the shotgun after dark. It "tends" to get very still as the sun sets and a shotgun noise can travel up to 5 miles (really) so, simply out of courtesy to the neighbours I make a point of not using it after sunset.

The shotgun, in most of its forms, is capable of stopping a fox easily but as John says I would not push my luck much more than 40-50 yards. I favour BB if I am specifically going out after the fox, although 3 or 4 could do the job! Fact is, I use the rifle on the fox, can't remember the last time I actually went out after them with the 12g! :thumbs:

Hi mate you are limited to range with a .22 rimfire of about 50yds for head shots and 90yds for .17HMR

Shot placement is everything using rimfires on foxes to ensure a clean kill with no wounding

ATB

Daz

In principle I totally agree, we all have different abilities but I have taken, and don't have any problem droping a fox at 70yards with a .22LR HP sub.

A couple of points....first off Mr Plod has given me .22LR for Fox, many will struggle to get this!

Second, I am a very good shot, please don't take this the wrong way, but I have been doing this nearly 35 years, I have medals (not that important ones) and ..well I know what I can do (But I still get it wrong sometimes).

Third, at this distance a 100ft lb sub, will still be delivering 70-80ft lb and a decent lead, 40g, (big) HP will peel back like a mushroom and deliver all it's energy and considerable damage into fox, head shot is not required but it does need to be placed...in many cases it is far more "efficient" than an HMR. The HMR has the advantage of overall power and range (flatter trajectory) but ... anyway....

So I generally have a slight issue with head shots only at 50yd with .22LR :thumbs: but I would tend to agree that 90-100 yards with HMR would be about right GENERALLY!

We all know longer shots are possible with both but it is important to be confident with your abilities BEFORE you pull the trigger!

Please remember it's not a competition, it's about clean kills, what you can do at 50 yards, I can do at 70 yards and someone else might be able to do it at 90 yards! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: