Chase Instinct in a young dog.

My latest addition, a failed foster was handed over to rescue when he failed to chase. As far as i'm aware he didn't even make it to puppy trials. He's been here since october and now seems to be developing a chase instinct.

When I was out with the foxhounds on saturday, my lurcher saw something interesting and did his best to get on after it (he was on the lead) and Phoenix showed an interest which is something he's never done.

Not long after he arrived I took him to a lure coursing event although he wasn't entered but he didn't take any notice whatsoever. He's never been registered on Greyhound data but his litter sister is and won her first race.

My knowledge of Greyhound racing and training is very limited but I was wondering if maybe he was written off a little too soon or if maybe he is just learning from my other two?

Its not something that really bothers me, just curiosity really. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

My latest addition, a failed foster was handed over to rescue when he failed to chase. As far as i'm aware he didn't even make it to puppy trials. He's been here since october and now seems to be developing a chase instinct.

When I was out with the foxhounds on saturday, my lurcher saw something interesting and did his best to get on after it (he was on the lead) and Phoenix showed an interest which is something he's never done.

Not long after he arrived I took him to a lure coursing event although he wasn't entered but he didn't take any notice whatsoever. He's never been registered on Greyhound data but his litter sister is and won her first race.

My knowledge of Greyhound racing and training is very limited but I was wondering if maybe he was written off a little too soon or if maybe he is just learning from my other two?

Its not something that really bothers me, just curiosity really. :thumbs

If a greyhound wont chase the lure and give 100%, then he is not much good for the track, so a good home is found. One of the reasons is he knows its just a piece of tin, its not the real thing. Try taking him lamping.

Its not something that really bothers me, just curiosity really. :thumbs

If a greyhound wont chase the lure and give 100%, then he is not much good for the track, so a good home is found. One of the reasons is he knows its just a piece of tin, its not the real thing. Try taking him lamping.

i reared a litter a few years back and they all went well bar one bitch when started at trails,this bitch was a brute at 32inches at the shoulder so i took her out on the lamp and she flew and caught 2 rabbits on her first night out,took her back for a trail and she went half way round jumped the rail and came back to me :wallbash: any way i took her home and over the next year she was my lamping dog taking rabbits no probs even for her size she also was deadly on foxes.all my dogs are bull/grey from this bitch to this day.turned out the best bitch i ever had but un fortunatly she is dead now.give yours a live chase and it could turn out the best youve ever had :notworthy:

Thanks for the replies.

The dog is coming up to 2. One of his littermates went out and won her first race I am told but he definately seems to prefer the real thing.

He seems to have found a chase instinct, he put up a rabbit and went after it although it got through a fence and away from him. We were only out walking at the time but it was good to see him take an interest.

As i've said, it makes no difference to me, he has a home here for life regardless.