First beater's day

Hi all :yes:

This post is a bit out of date but have been off the air for a while.

After a long absence I did a seasons beating on a local shoot which culminated in two beaters days at the end of Jan'.

Never been on one before and as most of my shooting is stalking and bunny bashing with the rim fire I was not sure if I should go. Anyway I rang my brother who runs a clay shoot and asked him to give me a private lesson in wing shooting.

After a bit I was hitting 2 out of 3 clays not having done this since I was 18. As I'm now just 50 you can see why I was a bit unsure whether to have a go at Pheasants. He told me to have a try anyway and so I turned up.

Six drives were planned so we split into A and B teams and thus walked 3 and stood 3. After initial jitters I managed to get 6 in total although it seemed very strange to be on a stand where prevoiously on a shooting day I had been watching some posh bloke shooting and paying some £300 for the privalage.

I would recomend anyone who hasn't to experience a seasons beating.

You'll meet a great bunch of blokes, get loads of fresh air and exercise and get paid into the bargain.

Next season my lad will be going too as he is thinking or training as a keeper. We visited Sparsholt Agricultural College a couple of weeks ago on a keepers open day and he is now all fired up.

All Dad needs to do is provide the dosh and make loads of usefull contacts along the way to help him along.

Bye for now :bye: