Can any semi auto fire slugs

Guest guevara

Guest guevara

Can any semi auto fire slugs as long as it is 12g or do you need a special gun or barrel.Im planning to go driven boar hunting this year and was wondering if i am going to be able to use my own gun.

Regards

here we have two problems. to answer your first question, yes all shotgun barrels can fir slugs with little choke in them, excessive choke makes no difference with slugs. first problem , you need an FAC to have shotgun slugs and this can be hard to obtain as many police forced dislike slugs because they are so deadly, but you may have a good reason if you state you are going boar hunting and can prove it eg a booking receipt etc.

second problem, all shotguns which are going to fire slugs must be on a firearms cert or section 1. this does not mean they all have to be over three shot but you cannot use slugs in a gun on your shotgun cert. i take it you are going to europe somewhere to hunt so the best option in my opinion is to take you shotgun with you on a eu firearms pass and ask your host to provide slugs. this will enable you to bypass the FAC and slug condition and you can leave what you dont use behind.

just as a word of warning, having used slugs in the US just to shoot targets, they are uncredibly dangerous, imagine a solid lump of lead the size of a 12 bore barrel flying at you!

hope this helps

ss06

Guest guevara

No they provide them for you, just wondering if most shotgun could take them.Are slugs dangerous for the shooter to use or just the things they are bieng fired at.

Is a slug cabable of taking a wild boar down at a distance of about 20meters.

No they provide them for you, just wondering if most shotgun could take them.Are slugs dangerous for the shooter to use or just the things they are bieng fired at.

more than capable!!! they reckon they can be accurate to 100 yrds but sticking to 50-60 is sensible as an injured boar really is dangerous to the shooter!! they arent dangerous for the shooter if all normal safety precautions are taken.

ss06

The slug should only be dangerous at the wrong end of the barrel.

ANY shotgun slug will take down a Wild Boar at 20 yards. They are generally rated up to about 60yards maximum, fare amount of power at that distance although tailing off very quickly, but you would be lucky to hit a barn door at this sort of distance.

Slugs are used in Europe for Boar but I have only been out the once after Boar and it was the UK! .308 was the favoured tool NOT slugs. Range goes up, accuracy is far better and stopping power is better.....I have a bit of an issue with a Boar at 20 yards, you will need to be very lucky or perhaps on a High Seat to get that close!

If you are off on some sort of organised hunt I suspect they know a lot better than me, and many others on this site...have a word with your hosts!!

:thumbs::thumbs: