hello to all

I am a airgun hunter, I am thinking of buying night vision and I would be grateful for any advice on this subject as I have not got a clue about what n.v to go for, I mainly go shooting for rabbits at night and it will have to be an n.v. scope. i will be using .22 air rifles only

could anyone please advise me on this matter, what Is the best make, and how much I would expect to pay, I have a budget of £500-£600

thanks John

You have two viable options:

1. Cobra Merlin + Day Scope Adapter + Laser IR Illuminator. You clamp this Gen 1 monocular to the back of your dayscope and it allows you to see clearly out to around 40 yards at least. You can pick this up for £480 from nightvisionsupplies.co.uk and nvscopes.com

Good Points: Easy to fit, can use your daytime scope, no rezero-ing required. Pretty good image

Not So Good Points: Restricted field of view, Gen 1 is not the very best to be used through a scope. Be careful about using the Laser IR at close ranges because they can burn the NV tube because they are still powerful bouncing off close walls / buildings etc. Also remember that LAser IR Illuminators can blind people.

2. Dedicated NV Unit: This replaces your dayscope with a dedicated night vision scope, such as the Yukon NVRS-F model. Improved optics, but heavier and you'll have to rezero the night vision scope as you have to remove your day scope. There is the option of using weaver rails and Quick Release rings for the dayscope. Can buy from uttings.com and other dedicated models from the above online sites. Will probably need additional Laser IR illumination to get good results.

One thing you will find, the image will probably disappoint you and that is a factor for all Gen 1 units. Only when you get into higher Generation technology (Gen 2, Gen 3) that things improve quite dramatically. A brilliant dedicated NV scope can be had for £1,900, but that's the price issue.

Edited by C3PO