Whilst running yesterday my deerhound cross ran into an immovable object and now is very stiff and sore.It is difficult for him to do more than potter around as his stifles,hocks and feet are obviously quite stiff and painful.He has no obviously dramatic injuries I am glad to say but I suspect soon he will be very bruised.Can anyone suggest a good remedy for pain relief and the above symptons, I have seen painrite greyhound paste for painrelief but am told that this will just allow him to ignore the pain and to exercise freely which isnt what I want as I wish to restrict him for a while until he heals a little.Any sensible ideas out there,I would be grateful and so would my dog

Guest Ditch_Shitter

When ye wake up tomorrow morning, aching for a piss, do it in a bottle. There's ye 'Bruise and Knock' remedy. Bathe the effected parts in it. Just sponge it on over the sore bits.

Only that first piss of the day, 'mind. After the first it's not worth a light.

My lurcher is always crashing into things, coming home ripped to bits and the next morning is stiff and creeky.

I tend to leave him to it. No painkillers as then he won't realise his limitations and over do it again.

I would keep your dog somewhere warm, and comfortable. If you take him out, put him on a lead. Let his body recover at its own speed rather than mask the aches with painkillers.

I would also invest in some arnica tablets - he will lick the cream off.

Thanks for all the info folks.My boy is a little better today but black and blue .I have invested in arnica tabs and some witch hazel as directed by as greyhound trainer but have not got painkillers as Merlin is daft enough to want to go again already even though he's having to drag himself down the garden. Some never learn do they!!!