hilux surf??????

if your going to get a surf get a manual ....and get the 3.0 litre ........proper bus ..... :D:D

that would be hard snoop has they only do surfs in auto,you mean 4 runner manuel :D

DO YOU WANT TO HAVE A BET ON THAT YOUNG MAN :D

I have a 2.4l Td Surf (SSR-G model)....manual gearbox ; )

The back window set-up isn't ideal (My Bronco was the same). The jaw-door is better solution for any truck like this.

I love my surf. -10 Celcius starts first time everytime. 28mpg and goes anywhere(pirelli snow and ice on 15" alloys). I love it, not as much as my old Landcruiser BJ04 but a good workhorse and perfect for transporting the muts. Might have to sell my one since in Norway permanently and can't insure on foreign plate. it would cost 7k on import duty nevermind it being 90kmiles and registered in '90 !!!!

Would be good for another 100k too!

• 4 weeks later...

I got a Surf! Hell of a lot of truck for the money. there's 3 litre 2nd gen truck from 2.5 k now or 3rd gen (with normal tailgate if you like that sort of thing) for 3.5 to 4 k starting price. I wouldn't get the 2.4, cos if the head does go, it'll cost big money to fix it, and 3 litres are cheap as chips now anyway. There's a damn good website/owners club thing too. www.hiluxsurf.co.uk

The reason why head gaskets go on 2.4's is that the heads in general are weak and it has nothing to do with being shipped without any coolant from Japan, like somebody posted earlier. When the head gets too warm they begin to warp and crack and thats what causes the head gasket to go, I have seen it time and time again where somebody has just replaced the Head gasket without even having the head checked and its back to the same old problem.

It used to be an expensive affair to replace the head, but there are a few good aftermarket alternative heads which are much stronger and do the job better and can be found for £200 upwards but come totally bare so you would have to fit serviceable components of your old one (Valves etc) and if the whole job of replacing head and gasket is done properly it will last.

HTH

ATB