Broken Leg

Thanks mate. He's a 2 year old so fully developed. Its a clean break so like you say should be staight forward enough.

Anyone any idea's on how much it will cost?

vets it depends on if he is a city slicker with dollar signs in his eyes im very lucky to have a vet that would stand on his head for ya and is not driven by money but the intrest of the dog very nice man over the years we have brought dogs to him that hit drains at full belt whit twisted spines cuts bumps put toes backn in place you name it b lucky for him to take the price of the medication and hes always good for a yarn or two real dog man GER CLANCY ya animal :victory:

Just got back from the vets they aint even fixed him yet. They wouldnt touch him untill i pay for it because i wasnt registered with them. Disgusting!

So my dog has been in pain with a broken leg for about 25 hours now and there not treating him untill tommorro morning so that'll be 36 hours.

Need i tell you what i think of the vets in this country?

i dont know wether this ll help , but i broke my femer in 2001 . i know how the dog feels . i wanted someone to give me a cartridge . i had a long pin and screws which have now been removed . 4 months on crutches and over a year with a limp . i still walk funny sometimes and can limp some weeks . one leg is also shorter than the other . i may get slated for this and i know this is nothing to do with the dog but it may give you an idea on running the dog in the future . i wish you and the dog the best of luck . regards marc . i did mine on my motorbike .......hit by a SKODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ours broke her front leg 5 weeks ago they plated and screwed it(internal) she was on lead for a piss etc and no jumping about for the first 4 weeks.now she is on lead and can walk up to 30 mins twice a day.vet said if all ok with next xray (4 weeks time) she can run off lead week after.

cost so far £2500(insured thank god)she has lost weight even after eating more and sleeping for 4 weeks.have been told by most that you wont tell after a year that she done it.

its hassle but just a question of time and rest and will be fine.

scotty

If you rest your dog properly and the break was do by a competent vet your dog should be fine mate,......but remember lead walking means LEAD WALKING keep your dog on a lead! once the vet thinks he's ok then get the physio on it and plenty of it,get the joint and muscles moving properly,time and rest is the greatest healer, ps ,..nice balls :D

Just got back from the vets. I took my bull cross out earlier, and whilst he was running through some xmas tree's i heard a big snap which i thought was a branch and max yelp.

He was chasing a rabbitt i think so he must of hit whatever he hit pritty hard.

He's broken his thema (not sure how to spell it) the main bone above the knee.

Its going to be expensive i know but he's an excellent dog so he's worth it.

Can people please tell me what are his chances of being 100% again?

Many thanks

Stan

was vertually in exactly the same predicament about nine and a half years ago [bANNED TEXT] and my advice would be if you can the dog has summut special about him then its worth it. gave my dog the chance and he's done me proud, it cost me $1400 in the end coz he had a few complications but i'd pay it all again to have another dog like him. theres nowt i aint had with him.he's eleven year old now and it plays him up a little on really cold mornings but only in the last couple of years, up untill then if you didn't know the dog you would have laughed if i'd told you he'd broken it. my advice would be to definately dont push him, but to watch the dog and he'll show you when he's ready. apart from doing whatever the vet told me that was all i did and the old dog caught his first rabbit four and a half months after he had break. just watch the dog fella and i wish you both all the best. be nice to hear how he comes on!

Max came home last friday and what a pain in the arse he's being.

I carnt blame him he must be in alot of pain, he keeps standing on his knuckles, is this normal?

Is he capable of moving the leg in order to position the foot correctly? It could be that it is too painful to flex the leg so that he can get the foot down right, and it will correct itself. It is also possible he does not have proper sensation in the toes, they are a little numb; standing on the knuckles is a common sign of loss of feeling in the foot. Give the webbing between his toes a good pinch, if he reacts by pulling the leg away, he's got feeling.

Just got back from the vets. I took my bull cross out earlier, and whilst he was running through some xmas tree's i heard a big snap which i thought was a branch and max yelp.

He was chasing a rabbitt i think so he must of hit whatever he hit pritty hard.

He's broken his thema (not sure how to spell it) the main bone above the knee.

Its going to be expensive i know but he's an excellent dog so he's worth it.

Can people please tell me what are his chances of being 100% again?

Many thanks

Stan

was vertually in exactly the same predicament about nine and a half years ago [bANNED TEXT] and my advice would be if you can the dog has summut special about him then its worth it. gave my dog the chance and he's done me proud, it cost me $1400 in the end coz he had a few complications but i'd pay it all again to have another dog like him. theres nowt i aint had with him.he's eleven year old now and it plays him up a little on really cold mornings but only in the last couple of years, up untill then if you didn't know the dog you would have laughed if i'd told you he'd broken it. my advice would be to definately dont push him, but to watch the dog and he'll show you when he's ready. apart from doing whatever the vet told me that was all i did and the old dog caught his first rabbit four and a half months after he had break. just watch the dog fella and i wish you both all the best. be nice to hear how he comes on!

Thanks mate he definatly is worth it. been to the vets today the knuckle thing is because the swelling has gone down his leg and numbed his toes. He'll be getting plenty of rest and i will keep you all informed on his progress.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, just to update you all on max.

He's been shit ever since the op not putting any weight on it or anything even though ive been swimming him twice a week and regular exercise etc.

Anyway went back to the vets last week and he said he wanted him in for a op to take the pin and plate of. I was a little unsure at first, but bugger me he had the op on monday and since then he's been putting full weight on the leg, to say im over the moon is an understatement.

Its early days yet but im confident things could come good.

The vet told me that something was either touching a nerve or something more complicated but like i say everythings ok now.

Has anyone else ever experianced anything like this?

Will keep updating on his progress.

stan glad hes coming ok for you speek soon :victory:

Cheers for that mate we'll see what happens! We'll have to sort out you coming up for a weekend or something at the start of the season for a shine about mate.

ATB

Stan

stan glad hes coming ok for you speek soon :victory:

Cheers for that mate we'll see what happens! We'll have to sort out you coming up for a weekend or something at the start of the season for a shine about mate.

ATB

Stan