got the chance to put some pheasants down on some permission i have for my own shooting , was wondering if ex layers or older birds would be a better choice than poults as not realeasing that many? any advice or ideas greatful.cheers

Depends they will still fly just make sure there not ill i.e gapes tricminasious infecta sinuitious infecta singasiotious all other other illnesses

x layes are good birds if your not putting many down.

got the chance to put some pheasants down on some permission i have for my own shooting , was wondering if ex layers or older birds would be a better choice than poults as not realeasing that many? any advice or ideas greatful.cheers

Depends they will still fly just make sure there not ill i.e gapes tricminasious infecta sinuitious infecta singasiotious all other other illnesses

wher would the best place to find ex layers? what sort of cost the fetch ?

wher would the best place to find ex layers? what sort of cost the fetch ?

I can soon find out nows not the time because all shoots are catching up laying stock or will be in the near future

My experience of ex layers is that its a very hit and miss affair .They are prone to wandering as they have no local knowledge of where they now find themselves upon release,a fine statement for a bird with a brain the size of a pea i know .You need a large area of well keepered ground to keep them in my opinion.

My experience of ex layers is that its a very hit and miss affair .They are prone to wandering as they have no local knowledge of where they now find themselves upon release,a fine statement for a bird with a brain the size of a pea i know .You need a large area of well keepered ground to keep them in my opinion.

agree 100 percent, ex layer are a lazy and cheap option to poults, :yes: a little extra work with the poults will be worth it

Guest ragumup

Ex layers can be ideal for people who don't have the time or money on a tin pot walk around shoot' your returns will depend on lots of factors and if they were over wintered hens or caught up ones

my advice would be try to put them in a pen to let them acclimatise to the area before your release them ;)

my advice would be try to put them in a pen to let them acclimatise to the area before your release them

I have to agree otherwise they will feck off first day, let them get used to their surroundings.

They might still feck off if males call them but at least you tried. :thumbs:

Guest little_lloyd

I think im going to buy a load of exlays this year,, last year i had day olds in a few sheds but i lost alot,, Going to have a mix of exlays and poults this time,, Will have the exlays in the pen to keep to keep them used to where i want them.

Lloyd mate .Think about what you are saying .Some of the lads on this thread have already said that ex layers wander to say the least .Mix them in with poults and you have another generation of wanders being led by the older birds .Not strictly cricket i know but the best bet with ex layers is to dribble them out of a shed as and when needed .God luck .