Sapphire Rat Paste

I got gifted some Lodi Sapphire Rat paste with brodifacoum 0.004% which I found very good. Thought I would try and buy some myself but all I seem to able to buy is same name but lower strength at Brodifacoum 0.0025% nearly half strength. Have you got to have some kind of licence to buy full strength and can you buy in small amounts?

Cheers Arry

Sort of: You need to provide evidence that you have passed a CRRU approved training course (or are a farmer member of a farm assurance scheme that audits rodenticide use). However there is scientific test work that shows that when used properly a 25ppm brodifacoum bait can achieve the same level of control as the higher ppm 'professional' products. In fact some professional brodifacoum products ARE 25ppm or thereabouts. This is because brodifacoum is far more potent than some of the other commonly used rodenticides so doesn't actually need to be at the normal 50ppm 'full strength'.

It's fair to say that people shouldn't be 'gifting' you products that you are not permitted to use . If you look at the label on the product it should say that it is for use by professional users with demonstrated competence (trained professional), so be careful, simply by using it there's a possibility that you could be committing an offence under biocides regulations because you are ignoring that part of the label instructions.

The short answer is that 25ppm should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, randombadger said:

Sort of: You need to provide evidence that you have passed a CRRU approved training course (or are a farmer member of a farm assurance scheme that audits rodenticide use). However there is scientific test work that shows that when used properly a 25ppm brodifacoum bait can achieve the same level of control as the higher ppm 'professional' products. In fact some professional brodifacoum products ARE 25ppm or thereabouts. This is because brodifacoum is far more potent than some of the other commonly used rodenticides so doesn't actually need to be at the normal 50ppm 'full strength'.

It's fair to say that people shouldn't be 'gifting' you products that you are not permitted to use . If you look at the label on the product it should say that it is for use by professional users with demonstrated competence (trained professional), so be careful, simply by using it there's a possibility that you could be committing an offence under biocides regulations because you are ignoring that part of the label instructions.

The short answer is that 25ppm should be fine.

Well explained and thank you.

As for the gifted part we all bend the rules a little at times and to was a few sachet to sort a few coming in the garden not a bucket full. Will try the 0.0025% stuff but was well impressed the the stronger stuff.

Thanks for getting back on that.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Cheers Arry,

Just in case anyone is skeptical here's a link to recent research show that 25ppm is just about as effective as 50ppm Efficacy of rodenticide baits with decreased concentrations of brodifacoum: Validation of the impact of the new EU anticoagulant regulation | Scientific Reports (nature.com)

As for 'professional grade' 25ppm brodifacoum baits a few examples would be: Rascal 25 Brodif and Talon M. Speaking to an industry guy at the Pestex I questioned why so many companies still sell it at 50ppm and why some even sell both. He said that when your competitors are selling the same stuff at twice the strength then there is a tendency for some users to gravitate to that so you have to do the same or risk losing sales. But whether it's necessary or not..... well that's another matter!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2023 at 14:56, Arry said:

I got gifted some Lodi Sapphire Rat paste with brodifacoum 0.004% which I found very good. Thought I would try and buy some myself but all I seem to able to buy is same name but lower strength at Brodifacoum 0.0025% nearly half strength. Have you got to have some kind of licence to buy full strength and can you buy in small amounts?

Cheers Arry

You can only buy full strength if you have an appropriate certificate and would need to do a suppliers course . To be fair the Sapphire brodifacoum paste or any rodenticide over 30 ppm is professional only product so shouldn't have been even gifted really. Brodifacoum  is very strong and even the half strength public available  bait will easily kill rats . You might need to feed little more but it will easily do the job. Half strength can only be brought 300grams at a time. This is because numpties didn't read the labels scattered it all over the place and killed things they weren't supposed to .Top advice - READ THE LABEL AND FOLLOW IT CAREFULLY- ITS THE LAW 

Edited by Staffy1
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Staffy1 said:

You can only buy full strength if you have an appropriate certificate and would need to do a suppliers course . To be fair the Sapphire brodifacoum paste or any rodenticide over 30 ppm is professional only product so shouldn't have been even gifted really. Brodifacoum  is very strong and even the half strength public available  bait will easily kill rats . You might need to feed little more but it will easily do the job. Half strength can only be brought 300grams at a time. This is because numpties didn't read the labels scattered it all over the place and killed things they weren't supposed to .Top advice - READ THE LABEL AND FOLLOW IT CAREFULLY- ITS THE LAW 

Thanks Staffy I understand totally mate I've bought the half strength stuff now. I'm no fool mate and take a lot of care where I put it so nothing else can get at it. The full strength stuff certainly does the job better though. Thank for the advice and don't worry I do understand trapping and using poison.

Cheers Arry

On 08/02/2024 at 19:23, Arry said:

Thanks Staffy I understand totally mate I've bought the half strength stuff now. I'm no fool mate and take a lot of care where I put it so nothing else can get at it. The full strength stuff certainly does the job better though. Thank for the advice and don't worry I do understand trapping and using poison.

Cheers Arry

I wasn't having a dig at you mate who ever gave you the rodenticide would be in bother if it went wrong and it can potentially  wrong for every one at from time to time 

Edited by Staffy1
Spelling/ grammar
1 hour ago, Staffy1 said:

I wasn't having a dig at you mate who ever gave you the rodenticide would be in bother if it went wrong and it can potentially  wrong for every one at from time to time 

I know what you're saying mate but we all have mates. He would not have trusted me with it if he didn't know what was doing. I've been around trapping and using poison all my life I'm an old bugger and love other wild life. I encourage hedgehogs birds into my garden and would not endanger them and my mate knows this and trust me. 

Cheers Arry 

• Like 2