Muntjac mania

Thursday evening had a call off a mate ,did I want to join him on a roe /muntie cull on his perm .Well, ok if I must says i ??

We met yesterday morning in the fields below the wood ,hoping to catch a few roe out early doors but the field was eerily empty .I see deer here every time I pass .So a walk up to the wood which ajoins a bit of my perm on the left and still no roe in the half light with the thermal .Oh well ,there’s got to be a muntie about surely .
Success ,there’s a muntie doe sat on the edge of the wood and facing away from us .Mate invites me to shoot this  one and a slow stalk in the gloaming got me to about 140m .On sticks and she’s up .Nothing to do with me as she shakes and just stands there .The .243 did the job .

At the shot the wood came alive with crows ,magpies and pigeons everywhere .We let that lot move off and got into the wood via a hunt gate .This wood is mainly oak with hawthorn base and quite bare this time of year apart from the odd bramble thicket .A muntie barked from very near and the thermal showed a buck on a ride to our right .In the half light in the wood it was a while before mate could make out  the deer clearly but the buck obliged and barked his head off at our presence only 60m away .His 6.5 did the job .Not a bad buck actually .

More corvid eruption followed by silence .This time we moved during the noise to help cover our footfalls .

In the middle of the wood ,there’s a clearing where there used to be an old charcoal cabin .That’s long gone but I remember it .

A muntie showed briefly in the thermal, crossing ground as only they can do with stealth and grace .Another buck .

I was on sticks and anticipated  him showing in a gap between two oaks and I wasn’t wrong .A whistle got him stopped and the rifle permanent.

Another decent buck tbh .
A roe buck was seen trotting away after the shot ,not hurriedly but alone .

Out tge other end of the wood is still his perm and there was a muntie doe making its way to us along a hedge .Mate on sticks and nearly didn’t get the shot as for some reason she jinked and ran out into the field to stand and bark at something in the hedge .Mate shot her at about 120 .Never did see what was in the hedge .

Cant explain the lack of roe here tbh but that’s hunting .We we’re expecting almost 6/7 does in the bag .

Anyway ,culled a few munties that will be made into burgers very soon .

297C5E96-2A86-423F-87F6-38F224318A12.jpeg.be3a39fc9f3c773f9f50eccf15e153b3.jpeg

Probably make a gold and silver head there .

• Like 5