GUN MOUNTED LAMPS

Be great to have some opinions and pics on gunmounted lamps guys just ordered a new tikka t3 in .222 and am looking for a gun mounted lamp,im not new to lamping with a rifle and have used a clulite a logun and was thinking of a 140 blitz,be great to hear ur views on this.....i used to use a remi 700 in .222 but let my cert go when i got into a sticky situation with the dogs a while back...

ive been out of rifle shooting for a while so dont really know whats new on the market.....

Guest JohnGalway

Hi Gary,

The Lightforce 140 is called Lance, not Blitz. I own a 140 lance and a 170 Striker, mate own a 240 Blitz. In my opinion for .222 ranges, to get the best lamp for your rfile you'll be needing the 170 Striker (the 140 and 170 come in scope mounted and hand held models, the 240 is handheld only and the size of a small bin lid lol). I have one on my .223 and it's great on foxes. The 140 is best on rimfires, it will DO for centrefires BUT you'll be losing out when it comes to taking the shot. I got an inline dimmer for mine, though thye do come inbuilt in some models. It's not absolutely necessary but very handy at times for getting closer to a fox, dim down the lamp and you won't have a huge glare off the ground lighting you up.

The wiring on Lightforces may need a bit of DIY to make them reliable but after you do it you'll have a fantastic lamp. I'm not technical or even handy with things like it but I was able to do the soldering and add the new connections myself so if I can do it anyone can. Invest in a scope mounted 170 Striker, you won't be disappointed :thumbs:

Edited by JohnGalway
Hi Gary,

The Lightforce 140 is called Lance, not Blitz. I own a 140 lance and a 170 Striker, mate own a 240 Blitz. In my opinion for .222 ranges, to get the best lamp for your rfile you'll be needing the 170 Striker. I have one on my .223 and it's great on foxes. The 140 is best on rimfires, it will DO for centrefires BUT you'll be losing out when it comes to taking the shot. I got an inline dimmer for mine, though thye do come inbuilt in some models. It's not absolutely necessary but very handy at times for getting closer to a fox, dim down the lamp and you won't have a huge glare off the ground lighting you up.

The wiring on Lightforces may need a bit of DIY to make them reliable but after you do it you'll have a fantastic lamp. I'm not technical or even handy with things like it but I was able to do the soldering and add the new connections myself so if I can do it anyone can. Invest in a scope mounted 170 Striker, you won't be disappointed :thumbs:

cheers john i already have a 170(custom rewired)i just thought it was a little too bulky to be rifle mounted its a big old lamp if the wind is blowing a little most the shooting i do is with my young cousins so to give them the responsibilty of a lamp is not the best idea lol

plus i like to go out on jobs on my own ive tried and testec the clulite hard it does a good job however the reflective lense fades too quickly...

i like the sound of a 140 as i rate the lightfoce range im just not sure on its power etc...

specially with different lenses...

Guest JohnGalway

Sound Gary, never found the 170 size a problem myself and I live right by the Atlantic on the West coast of Ireland, not very sheltered :lol: I'm 90% of the time lamping alone as well.

I started out with the 140 on my first .223. Now, most of my ground is dark, think bad quality bogland and rough mountain. My longest shot with the 140 on my .223 was 155 yards, not sure how much farther out it'd go here for me. Though I do appreciate different types of ground will make foxy stick out better, he blends in very well here.

I tried a red lens and I ended up giving it away, really does cut down the effective lamping range to piddling distance. If you're intent on using a lens I'd try amber, it won't cut out as much light.

As for power, I believe but stand by to be corrected, the 140 uses a 50W bulb, the 170 a 75W bulb and the 240 a 100W bulb, add in to that the differences in reflector sizes and you do get big differences.

Good luck with whatever you buy :thumbs:

Sound Gary, never found the 170 size a problem myself and I live right by the Atlantic on the West coast of Ireland, not very sheltered :lol: I'm 90% of the time lamping alone as well.

I started out with the 140 on my first .223. Now, most of my ground is dark, think bad quality bogland and rough mountain. My longest shot with the 140 on my .223 was 155 yards, not sure how much farther out it'd go here for me. Though I do appreciate different types of ground will make foxy stick out better, he blends in very well here.

I tried a red lens and I ended up giving it away, really does cut down the effective lamping range to piddling distance. If you're intent on using a lens I'd try amber, it won't cut out as much light.

As for power, I believe but stand by to be corrected, the 140 uses a 50W bulb, the 170 a 75W bulb and the 240 a 100W bulb, add in to that the differences in reflector sizes and you do get big differences.

Good luck with whatever you buy :thumbs:

cheers john great input,i use the 170 with a 100watt bulb i guess you cud up the power on the 140,il probably stick with mounting my 170 as u recomend saves on the extra cost as well [bANNED TEXT],if i have problems il go down a little im on the west coast of wales we get the same winds lol those north westerlys sure like to push dont they [bANNED TEXT] lol!!!