at what age ??

Guest tawny

Its sometimes ourselves that put unneaded pressure on the THOUGHT that a terrier should be doing a bit at such and such an age .IME theres nothing wrong with a youngster seeing something as long as it is winning and not too often .I would rather they showed interest when young than some of the layed back stuff weve had but then again they do the job just as well and stay out the sick bay too!Ive got a pup that is now 14 month and shows no sign of wanting to go, but go she will i know it .Read your stock not books .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ripstop
Its sometimes ourselves that put unneaded pressure on the THOUGHT that a terrier should be doing a bit at such and such an age .IME theres nothing wrong with a youngster seeing something as long as it is winning and not too often .I would rather they showed interest when young than some of the layed back stuff weve had but then again they do the job just as well and stay out the sick bay too!Ive got a pup that is now 14 month and shows no sign of wanting to go, but go she will i know it .Read your stock not books .
JUST HAD MY BITCH OUT TODAY, ONLY TRIED HER IN 2 SETTS, SHE IS RUNNING THE TUBES DOWN TO 5 METRES, IN ONE END OUT THE OTHER, AND NOT QUICKLY EITHER, SHE SEEMS THOURGH

ENOUGH, WHICH IS A BIG LEAP FROM NOT WANTING TO GO, SHES 2O MONTH, ILL TRY WITH A FEW (MAYBE 5-10 ) THIS SEASON,(IF I CAN) LIKE SOMEONE SAID, WHO HAS HAD APPROX. 20 ODD YEARS AROUND TERRIERS, SHE WILL GO WHEN SHE IS READY, WHICH SEEMS LIKE NOW, BUT ONLY HAD 4 BOLTS, WOULD PREFER HER TO KEEP QUARRY PINNED, BUT SHE SEEMS TO BOTTLE UP QUITE QUICKLY, BUT THE QUARRY MANAGES A FLEE, WHAT DO YOUS ALL THINK, A FEW HAVE SAID PTS, BUT IN MY EYES SHE IS GETTING BETTER,AS HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE LET HER GO AT HER OWN PACE

Guest proudy

I prefer mine to go around 12-14 months but will start the dog earlier if I think it won't do any harm. Say you do hold them back or they're slow starters, how long would you lads be willing to wait for that terrier to click? I suppose its ok if you've plenty of kennel space but what would be the age before you finally call time on that pup?

Guest ripstop
I prefer mine to go around 12-14 months but will start the dog earlier if I think it won't do any harm. Say you do hold them back or they're slow starters, how long would you lads be willing to wait for that terrier to click? I suppose its ok if you've plenty of kennel space but what would be the age before you finally call time on that pup?
HEARD OF SOME DOGS NOT GOING TILL 2-3 YEARS, BEEN GOOD TERRIERS AND LIVE TO TELL THE TALE, MUST SHOW THEYRE MATURE AND DONT JUST GET SMASHED UP BY GOING IN TOO HARD, SOMETIMES THATS A SURE FIRE WAY OF JACKING, I MIGHT NOT BE RIGHT, BUT NO SARCISM, ANY GOOD INPUT WELCOME, ITS JUST THAT MY BITCH IS A SLOW STARTER

I think people sometimes put too much expectation in a dog period. By that I mean its like everybody wants to "keep up with the neighbor etc." Not all pups start the same... shit.. look at people in school... not all are top students or their wouldn't be "top students" but the top student isn't always the bread winner in the end is it? Some of us wouldn't be alive today if our parents culled the way some say they cull dogs... I'd bet They wouldn't be here either. LOL!

Start the dog when you feel the dog is ready... some start early... some start late... its a gamble any way you look at it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... you need nerves of steel to stay to your own thoughts rather than what others think you should do.

Everybody wants a worldbeater but... odds are you aren't going to own one. ;) The trick is to know what you've got and use it to best suit your needs and wants. Horses for courses and all that.

when i started this post,i in no way did i ever ,or would say that dogs as young as nine months are at the age to work.

i myselfe wouldent dream of entering them till they are over 13 months, and yet like i say the best dogs ive had have self

enterd at early age,eight to ten months.

i dident want them to enter so young but over the years a few have sneak'd off while walking them,and often found a

a earth i dident know of. but most came through with flying coulors.

looking back on the early enterers,one thing i can say is they stood out from the rest.

all calm quite pups not the young fighters that would give you the impression that they are ready for work and in most cases

they are the ones that dont make it if they get entered at three years let alone nine months.

i hear many times that the right age to enter is 18 months,its been talked about and written many times but if you spend time

with your terriers and not just walk them, but sit with them look and see whats going through thier minds

and you will see what some are more than ready to enter before thier first birthday ;)

Guest ripstop
when i started this post,i in no way did i ever ,or would say that dogs as young as nine months are at the age to work.

i myselfe wouldent dream of entering them till they are over 13 months, and yet like i say the best dogs ive had have self

enterd at early age,eight to ten months.

i dident want them to enter so young but over the years a few have sneak'd off while walking them,and often found a

a earth i dident know of. but most came through with flying coulors.

looking back on the early enterers,one thing i can say is they stood out from the rest.

all calm quite pups not the young fighters that would give you the impression that they are ready for work and in most cases

they are the ones that dont make it if they get entered at three years let alone nine months.

i hear many times that the right age to enter is 18 months,its been talked about and written many times but if you spend time

with your terriers and not just walk them, but sit with them look and see whats going through thier mindsBOTH MINE RAN OUT THE DOOR AND SELF ENTERED AT AROUND 9 MONTHS OLD, LIKE YOU SAY TAWNY LIKE ME YOU WOULD NEVER HAVE LET THEM GO TO GROUND AT THAT AGE. I ONLY KNOW THAT THEY CAME BACK MARKED , SO I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED UNDERGROUND, SO I WAITED TILL THEY MATURED A BIT AND SO FAR SO GOOD

and you will see what some are more than ready to enter before thier first birthday ;)