Future Lurcher

My suggestion would be to see if you can get out ferreting or lamping with a few different people and determine which sort of lurcher you get on with. Different people get on with different types of lurcher. That' s why you have had various answers to your original question. Another consideration is the type of land you are likely to get permission on and the type of lurcher work you enjoy- if your keen on lamping above all else, then you may want a lurcher especially suited to that task. With regard to collie lurchers- lurcher marmite- be doubly sure to check whether you will get on with one, and bare in mind that collie lurchers can vary immensely depending on how they are bred, and that collie lurchers are bred in many places, not just in exclusive parts of Birmingham. :whistling:

caravan-monster. Thanks for your reply. I will try to get out with some different people and different dogs as u have advised, cheers. What do you mean by lurcher-marmite? and the bit about them being bred in birmingham?

Cheers, Gaz.

Lurcher marmite- people either love 'em or hate 'em. Don' t get too hung up on the exact breeding of different types of lurcher. If you can find time to go and see some lurchers working, you' ll get a feel for the 'type' of dog that you would like. If you' re really lucky, you might even come across two lurchers that you like, have seen work, and are breeding a litter- proven worker to proven worker. After that, its up to you to put in as much time as possible obedience training and out in the field. But there again, widely available books and maybe even lurcher forums might convince you that what you really need is a commercially bred dog, probably from Birmingham, it' s so much easier. There are no guarantees though when it comes to working dogs. I know I' d stick to what I' ve seen with my eyes, rather than read about....

Hi all, im looking at getting my first working lurcher in the next 12-18 months hopefully. I would like an all round lurcher, lamping, ferreting, day time-mooching about for rabbits, vermin etc, retrieving maybe, and also a good companion too. I was looking at a bull/greyhound type dog, as i like the size of them and know they wil have good jaws. But how trainable are these? Would a bull/greyhound x collie/greyhound work? I am thinking bully brawn and jaws and a bit of collie brain?? Or would this just not work?

What are your thoughts? What lurchers have you people got?

Thanks in advance, Gaz.

for rabbit and ferreting wood not get a bull x my bitch is 19in and in photo run30 got 26 and cen allmost talk but you wont the big ones then get bull x but not for rabbits she is whippit xgrahound collie xgrahohnd

post-11824-1199399630.jpg

post-11824-1199399739_thumb.jpg

Edited by hedges

yeh i think ive seen the error of my ways now about wanting a bull x for rabbiting. I love the look of some of the collie/greyhounds, espicially some of them with bearded collie and border collie in. What is the make up of your lurcher in the pic mate?

yeh i think ive seen the error of my ways now about wanting a bull x for rabbiting. I love the look of some of the collie/greyhounds, espicially some of them with bearded collie and border collie in. What is the make up of your lurcher in the pic mate?

SHE IS BEARDED COLLIE

i think if you are looking for a pot filler which it seems your better of with a collie greyhound or collie greyhound x greyhound

i have owned collie xgrey & deerhound x greyhound bull crosses seem to be more popular these days but i think the bull is there only for foxes its up to you and what quarry you want to go for.

Edited by longcarribbean

All i can say is i prefer the collie/greyhound mix for my general mooching and lamping needs.

but dont rule out the beddie crosses they make crackers aswell,so whatever pup you get just be patient

and put the right training in and the rewards will come.

look on my profile and see my merle collie/grey it might give you some idea.

good luck with your pup and like i said be patient :thumbs: .