A farmer on one of our rabbiting permissions asked me and my ferreting mate if we would have a go at some moles on his property. He bought us the traps so we have been putting a few out.

We put 50 traps out yesterday in one of the fields we have been trying to clear. Picked them up this morning and had got 16 moles (including one double). What is this like compared to your catching average? Its a 15 acre field and we have had 45 moles out of it so far. About 4 acres left to do on this field.

We put some out in the same field a couple of weeks ago and got a bank vole in one of the traps, what have you had in mole traps other than moles?

post-5813-1198431140_thumb.jpg

All the best

AF

Well done that man, that is quite a serious mole problem if you have had 40 + out of 11 acres, working on percentages you should have around another 10 from the remaining 4 acres, trouble is there will be quite a few move in very quickly as there will be plenty looking for new territories if there is that sort of numbers in the field.

When you think you have them all get the farmer to chain harrow and then go back in three weeks or so.

All the best MT.

Well done that man, that is quite a serious mole problem if you have had 40 + out of 11 acres, working on percentages you should have around another 10 from the remaining 4 acres, trouble is there will be quite a few move in very quickly as there will be plenty looking for new territories if there is that sort of numbers in the field.

When you think you have them all get the farmer to chain harrow and then go back in three weeks or so.

All the best MT.

I think it is a fair infestation and there are lots more fields to have a go at after this one if we get the time. :no: The crop is wheat so we wont be able to chain harrow it, most of the time spent in the field is kicking over mole hills rather than setting traps. I had a Fred Astair moment yesterday kicking one way and then the other!!

We can only get the time to tackle things on a weekend so we have been going and putting a few traps in before or after our rabbiting trips. The thing is as you say a lot of time is spent clearing up the new ones that have moved in the areas we have already done.

All the best AF