Fujifilm X-Range Suitable For Wildlife Photography

Hi folks,

I have been a Nikon user for as long as I have been shooting, since back in the days of film. I've always found the Nikon system (I generally used the semi-pro models) very flexible, robust and responsive, perfect for shooting wildlife. However, I am becoming increasingly drawn by the "Mirrorless Camera" phenomena and I am seriously considering a change in system. My question is this: is the Fujifilm X-Range (the mirrorless system that has drawn my eye) suited to wildlife photography? I have heard varying reports on the responsiveness of their auto-focus, which of course could prove a limiting factor. The newer models, such as the X-T2 seem to have addressed this issue to some extent from what I have read, but I would rather test the system first by finding a used X-T1 for sale (it's predecessor) and see whether the whole mirrorless thing is for me or not.

Any thoughts, opinions or first hand experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

fuji_x-t1_f02_zps767868ec.jpg

Edited by Sustainable1982

If the system was that good Nikon and Canon would have switched to it with their Pro Cameras . The investment is always in the lenses with Nikon, all Digital Cameras are made obsolete by the second hand price. A Nikon D1 or D100 will take any image just as well as one of today's Nikon range, you would not know the difference in an A3 size print when a top quality lens is used.

It is all a personal choice.

Just my opinion

I hear what you are saying about the lenses. Part of my reasoning behind my proposed switch is that the overall size/weight of my kit can be reduced without sacrificing quality. The Fuji lens range is of an excellent standard by all accounts. I'll give it some further thought though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have swapped from Nikon to Fuji in the last year and the focus isn't as quick but it is constantly improving. Other than that it is a marked improvement over my D7000. I use a X-T1 but I believe the focusing on the X-T2 will be quicker again.