Noob needs to know how to lamp :(

Ok i went out lamping for the first ever time tonight, there was plenty of bunnies but when ever i put my light on them to see them and graduly get closer they just ran. do i need to turn the lamp off when im trying to sneak up on them? Because i tryed that and when i got nearer i turned my lamp on and they was gone. :hmm:

Edited by luke524896

Ok i went out lamping for the first ever time tonight, there was plenty of bunnies but when ever i put my light on them to see them and graduly get closer they just ran. do i need to turn the lamp off when im trying to sneak up on them? Because i tryed that and when i got nearer i turned my lamp on and they was gone. :hmm:

yep your right, i think a million candle power light may give your position away, jokes aside, have a quick scan, walk in wind in your face, when you think your in slipping distance, lamp on , dog away

Just get out and do it and learn from your own mistake's as everybody as they own way of doing thing's..

Allway's try to walk into the wind and keep flicking the beam around in front of you every so often..

Keep a close eye out for rabbit's that are layed flat in the beam..

If you do spot a bunnie in the distance turn the lamp of wait till you are somewhere near and try to lamp below it so you are not blinding it.. if you think it's within catching distance put the beam on it and let the dog loose aslong as you know he has spotted it..

They is a too much to mention but im sure other folk will add to the thread.. :thumbs: ..and by the way how old are you if you dont mind me asking..

Millet

17 :tongue2:

Guest bobsuperdog
Just get out and do it and learn from your own mistake's as everybody as they own way of doing thing's..

Allway's try to walk into the wind and keep flicking the beam around in front of you every so often..

Keep a close eye out for rabbit's that are layed flat in the beam..

If you do spot a bunnie in the distance turn the lamp of wait till you are somewhere near and try to lamp below it so you are not blinding it.. if you think it's within catching distance put the beam on it and let the dog loose aslong as you know he has spotted it..

They is a too much to mention but im sure other folk will add to the thread.. :thumbs: ..and by the way how old are you if you dont mind me asking..

Millet

17 :tongue2:

grooming :bye: :kiss:

mate your best bet is to act like a carrot at all times the bunnys will run to you with no problems, you may have to go to carrot school for a few months first.. lol

im playing mate, if you was closer i would gladly take you out for a shine... not all rabbits "sit tight" mate.. the chances are the rabbits have been lamped before so there for they get used to a beam.... you need to get the weather right... wind/rain.. always try to walk into the wind if its possible this avoids rabbits picking up your scent and the dogs... get out as much as possible too you learn as u go.. try to go to the same place in daylight, you need to know your grownd.. this will also alow you to see were the rabbits are running and eating and avoid any unwated accidents such as your dog hurting himself running into fencing/ditches/large stone etc etc

just take your time im sure after a few weeks you will have a good idea

all the best

i go on a few places where they are a bit shy so i tried the red eye on my lamp and that worked for a while but as said in previous posts be patiant some nights i go out and dont get anywhere near and then others i fill my boots but if all else fails get the scent and rabbitt costume and give me a ring i would love see that bouncing across the fields! :D

What I would do is walk the land during the daytime and see where the rabbits burrows are so when you go to lamp it at night you can approach the rabbits with a view to positioning yourself infront of where they want to run to reach safety, this will give you a much greater chance of catching :thumbs: