Breeding The Linnet.

Here's an article written by Jeff Hulme.

I have been breeding my strain of Linnets in pens for about 10 years now. The pen sizes that I have found give my Linnets more security are about 3' 6" wide x 3' high x 18" deep. I have also bred them in pens that are about 4' x 2' x 2'.

I line breed the Linnets, and have found that they are now becoming very steady, and are gradually improving in markings and size. The colour is still a problem and I would like to see darker birds.

Last year my Linnets went to nest earlier than ever before and I had eggs at the beginning of April. Normally it is the last week in April before they go down.

By the beginning of March I have started my conditioning programme with the Linnets. My basic mix of Beyers wild seed and Scottish budgie tonic is supplemented with a cage bird tonic. I have gradually built up the green food, using punnet's of mustard, cress and broccoli from the wholesalers, and the only wild food I use is dandelion, which I start to dig up and feed the lot, roots, soil, leaves and flowers when they eventually start appearing.

I do not give a lot of egg food or soaked seed to get them into condition but I increase the Beyers wild seed. Most of my Linnets rear mainly on the Beyers wild seed. I have never seen a captive bred Linnet take any form of live food and they definitely do not need it to rear healthy chicks.

My nest sites consist of a wire basket hung on the front of the cage mesh, with no cover inside the cage, but I use artificial Christmas tree branches to give some protection on the front.

The Linnets are quick to build their nests. I supply moss, and also natural materials which I buy from Quicko.

I never interfere with the nest once I have set it up. By observing the birds it is easy to see if the hen has started incubating. As soon as she does, I mark my diary with the date, and I do not touch the nest again until I am ready to ring the young. From when the hen is sitting, I wait about 19 days. At anything around 12 days the chicks will start to hatch.

When I take the nest down to ring the chicks there is usually an assortment of sizes. My hens seem to start incubating early in the clutch. When I have rung the birds, I replace the nest and do not touch it again until the chicks fledge.

It is not uncommon for the hen to go down to nest again very quickly. I have had eggs in one nest and chicks in another.

When the chicks' tails have grown in fully, normally about twenty five days, I take them away and moult them in family groups. At this time I give the chicks lots of wild seed, soaked seed, egg food and lots and lots of millet sprays.

I use intradine in the water at 2ml to a litre, 5 days on and 2 days off right up until the birds have finished moulting.

Unlike redpolls, if you colour feed young Linnets, the cocks get red breasts in their first moult. So, if you are unsure as to how to sex your young, if you colour feed you will not go far wrong.

I do not colour feed my Linnets anymore, I feel its one less toxin they have to endure.

This is only my method of keeping and breeding this wonderful bird, they are too often overlooked, but are gradually making a comeback on the show bench.

• Like 3