Staghounds

nah mate theres plenty of piss weak stags out there but they dont last long but its pretty hard to find a weak hearted bully do you disagree but id prefer to go through a hundred stags to find one awsome because nothing beats a awsome stag

your right there mate you get week and strong in every breed.iv never seen a stagx run but herd some good things about them :thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya mate out of a litter im not saying they all dont work cause its easy for a dog to go in with a pack im talking one out on a fox or whateva and if you look at all the pups out of however many litters only a few really make the grade as tough whille if you bred a litter of bully greys they would almost all take a fox with easy by themselves

Ive had kelpies take fox easy by themselves, for a stag in Oz it is just an afterthought. All my dogs are run hard and by them selves Ive only recently had the luxury of having dogs run doubled up and it was great but back to singles again now. I'm sorry you have had the experience of seeing badly bred stags but for us that have owned quite a few it sounds odd.

If I had realised I had something great in the breed I used to run that all caught anything they were put onto I would have been more careful with them they could have been famous LOL

well for starters dont get me wrong i love my stag (dont have a camera and dont know how to use a computer properly)and i wouldnt have anything else but the question was why there arnt any over seas and i think iv given perfectly good reasons as to why they dont have them its not my place to name names but i also didnt mean to say that theyd catch every fox just kill it no dog can catch every fox when its caught oviously a bully grey is slower then a stag and has more trouble but in saying that iv seen many light ones including bully grey x stags which are more then capable now are you telling me you've never got rid of a staghound and every one you have ever bought has been tough as well as every pup in the litter ill admit 2 to 3 was a bit of an overstatement but what im trying to get across is simple if you bred a litter of bullygreys and a litter of stags a bully is more lickly to have tougher dogs which i suspect is what the poms want to finish a fox fast its unfortunate that people breed for money but it happens and quite often poeple lie about there dogs i live in the melbourne area and have bought dogs from adeliade to sydney and although i must admit im very picky and am quick to have a change of heart about a dog i have found there to be few litters with many good pups from what i can tell in there also if every stag came up hard enough thered be alot more good ones out there but there arnt because poeple get rid of the shit ones usally

f**k i dont now why i even said al that s**t it dosent even make sense to me but my opinion is that the reason the poms have bullys instead of stags is that bully are a harder animal would any poms care to elaberate

also hairybull you said it your self that stags are culled hard theres a reason for it and by the sounds of how your defending your dogs if you bred a litter give us a shout that gose for mitch , brotherfox and skippy as well

p.s. not being a smart ass

Mitch and BFox have seen my dogs on another forum and I have been hunting with a couple of people on that forum also. My bitch is due to drop on the weekend, most of the pups are sold already. Parents are from strong old lines that had to work.

Do you not think that bull/grey are culled to get the dogs they are after, of course they are hard they are bullies!!

Stags WERE culled hard to get some of the good dogs today that produce the litters that all work. I have only got rid of one stag and it wasn't because he wouldnt work it was because he was a nightmare around the house and I don't agree on having him chained on gravel for the rest of his life.

I agree that bull/greys go in hard but do you want or need a dog that hard? I have a stag/bull but the meat cannot be used for human consumption if you leave her there for too long where my roodogs will lay down once the job is done.

We aren't arguing that bull/grey aren't hard, they are, just that a decent stag should produce litters that all work.

:D Love a good debate!!

Not being a pain- just passionate about the breed and don't like the accusations when I have seen and owned the opposite, :drinks:

starting to like you and ill humberly except your wisdom unfortunatly i am unable to take a pup from you considering we live a million miles away but as i said poeple bred off sh*t dogs and unfortunatly not everyone trys to keep to the standard of breding of you and your friends

Glad you're starting to like me its all in good fun- I actually write all this with a grin on my face and I'd love to meet more people that have the stags. Don't get me wrong I am not an old person but have had the luck of learning and running with alot of very experienced older fellas that run them for a living and have done for generations as well as having a few in the family.

Have known a few 3 legged stag/kangaroo dogs work over time also, little bit wide on the turns but still make their catch.

I will agree on the fact that buying a stag from half-bred parents that are hairy and thats all they have going for them stag-wise wont guarantee you a worker, like the litters you describe. But it can be hard to get a pup from proven lines as they generally arent advertised but the shit are!!

They were good dogs( unusual for those fellas to spend money like that on them too) one was my old stags grandmother she ran into a star picket angled out of the ground and it went through her shoulder so the bloke got it amputated and was prepared to keep her as a mate or brood but she started jumping off the ute and catching not long after, the other is a smoothcoat male in Sth of WA. Bit wide on the turns but still caught no worries.

Got ya msg, not a member but could see the pic on the main page, like the pup, is that the stag in the pic?

Edited by hairybull