A Couple Of Hours With The Archer.

Recently met "mad4it" Stephen and a very nice chap he is too. He wanted a look through the Archer and after being rained off a couple of times we finally managed it last night.

Did not start out well as, after going through my check list twice, I left the bloody game bag at home :icon_redface:. That's what I get for gassing whilst loading up. I don't multi task very well. Just as well my nearest perm is only 15 minutes away and I appreciated Steve not giving me any flak.

The first thing I noticed was how different everything looked with no leaves on. Just inside the field is a bush that I normally hide behind to get everything together and there's usually a rabbit or two to be had. This time the bush was a bunch of thin sticks that afforded no cover at all. I set up the Anschutz 1417 with the Archer on the back of a Sidewinder 30 3-12x50 and had a scan with the rifle sitting on quad sticks The sticks were on trial as well because I'd added a fifth stick on the back to further stabilise them and it worked very well. I spotted a couple of bunnies at around 75yds so I told Steve to have his first look through an Archer and take the shot (cos that's the kind of guy I am :D). The bunnie dropped and he was all smiles. This was within ten minutes of stepping into the field. I don't think he'll be using a lamp for much longer.

I got the feeling that someone had been shooting there lately because the bunnies were very spooky and took a long while to come back out. We walked to the middle of the field and I missed my first shot, seeing it hit the dirt a whisker over his head. We got the gear in the hut and waited for them to come back out. After a cup of tea I had another look around. Saw one about 65yds away which I dropped with a head shot. A short while later Steve shot another at about the same distance.

Whilst waiting for them to come back out a low ground mist came in which put the Archer out of action. The mist didn't last long but by the time it rolled away we'd already decided to head for home. At the end I was one for two and Steve was two for three. Three rabbits for one clip? I'll take that. :D

• Like 1

Thank you toxo paul it was a great night, And your right I wont be using a lamp much longer I am going over to the dark side, As for you leaving your game bag at home I am glad it not just me that does things like that. We will have to get out again.

I can see why people make so much of night vision.

Thank you once again for a great night out.