CZ VARMINT .22 AMMO TEST

took my cz varmint to the club at the weekend just to throw some different ammo down range as a quick test...

the first i tested was winchester subs which i use on the field. i shoot out to ranges of up to 90 yards with good results, but have the occassional flyer when the bunny gets away even though i know my sights & my distances, but think how the hell i missed my target. 9 times out of 10 im either shooting from the motor on a stable rest or lying on the deck using the bipod.

all cards were shot at 25yds and zeroed in on a sighter...

winchester subs

had 1/2" grouping on a sighter, these were the results

DSCF0780.jpg

eley match

had the same 1/2" grouping on sighter as the subs but results were better

DSCF0781.jpg

eley club

on the sighter i had almost bullet on bullet & the results speak for them self

DSCF0778.jpg

not that ive ever tried eley subs, but ive heard alot about their accuracy & their suspose to beat winchester subs hands down. after my test im going to give them a try next time at the club.

obviously i know every rifle has different results with different ammo & not every rifle the same, but what results has anyone else had with winchester & eley subs ?

That card brings back some memories....I spent 10 years shooting at one of those every Tuesday night back in the very late 60's and through the 70's. I seem to recall we used mainly Eley and Remington at the time as they produced the best results, but that was target rifles, Mr Martini and Mr Anschutz.

Not fired a specific Target .22LR over 25 yards for years but I suspect Eley will still give good results on the range or out in the field, they do have a bit of a reputation for target rounds.

I have the CZ Silhouette with full length barrel and Sak on the end of it, your Varmint has the heavier barrel if I recall correctly, so ammo preferences would not necessarily be the same. Got to admit that on the sub sonic side I have tried a lot, Eley, Winchester, CCI, Lapau, Aguila, Magtech and Remington. Eventually I have settled on Magtech 40g HP Sub, which is handy as they are not expensive. After my last zero check at 50 yards a few weeks back, my lad took over and with the 10 shot mag put all of them inside a 10p piece (50Yards), he's not that used to the gun and I would like to think I can do a little better (the 560+ bunnies, 300+ squirrels and 12 Foxes I've had so far this year would suggest I can)

So for me and my gun at the moment it's Magtech!

Deker

that is some fantastic grouping with the eley club :clapper: my CZ Silhouette much prefers the eley subs to the winchester but i might need to try the club :thumbs: , you cant really tell on the target but the group was about the size of a 5 p piece and shot at around 30yds

post-8543-1195760553_thumb.jpg

that is some fantastic grouping with the eley club :clapper: my CZ Silhouette much prefers the eley subs to the winchester but i might need to try the club :thumbs: , you cant really tell on the target but the group was about the size of a 5 p piece and shot at around 30yds

the eley grouping looks good. im off this saturday to take a few boxes, first ill try them at the club on the card, then ill try them on the field. ill post the picture of the results with the eley subs mid week. i dont think ill be buying any more winchesters after my batch has gone, they vary too much.

im glad you put this post up it may have saved me a lot of time and money :thumbs: eley club is the first round im going to try out when i get my new rimmy :D i know that all the power in the world is a waste of time if you dont hit your mark you may have the best gun the best sights fancy this and that bolted to your gun but at the end of the day its all down to that little piece of lead that comes out of the end of the barrel ,i dont mind paying the extra as long as they fly true ,nothing more anoying than missing and you know it was down to a flyer ,but thats cheep or the wrong ammo for you and your gun ... :D not bad shooting :clapper: any body here from the leek shooting club ??? they have a good pipe range no wind in there ..

I have to agree. When I used to do a bit of target shooting with my CZ, eley club were the best round I could feed it. Better than lapua master, which are a very fine round in themselves.

There must be something about the eley club that the cz452 rifle likes.

i recently sold my ruger 10/22T which i used for competitions & for vermin. eley match is what my rifle prefered for club shooting & winchester subs for vermin. it hated eley standard & eley club & i would get a grouping of around 3/4" which in tournament shooting is unacceptable. as for vermin, it would shoot accurately out to 90yds using winchester subs so i didnt feel the need to change to any other subs as i believe if it works dont try to fix it.

with my cz varmint its the total opposite, so maybe eley subs are the way forward. im picking up a box of rounds tomorrow & taking them down the club on monday to see the results which i will be posting.

also as a test im going to buy 100 of each subsonic round i can get my hands on & do a grouping test out to 75yds..

richie

• 2 weeks later...

went to the club this morning to test the eley subs. put 5 through the sighter, bang-on. was happy with that so decided to move onto the score card.

each bullet landed where i aimed when the trigger was pulled. i must admit i did snag one shot due to the trigger been standard. going to have to upgrade to the brooks trigger kit.

the verdict of my tests are: winchester subs aernt worth a w@nk in my cz & that im going to be using eley subs from now on for my vermin control & for my tournament shooting. the accuracy in them is spot on, & quite cheap at £65 per 1000.

5 shots on the sighter with eley subs

DSCF0832.jpg

eley subs on test card

DSCF0830.jpg