Hi all,

Just a short introduction:

Recently been made redundant, my wife said "get a hobby".

Hmmm. So was not so pleased when I came home with a new Air Arms S400 Karbine....

So.... after working for a conservation/wildlife charity for the last 2 years I have come to realise that almost all people who look after the UK countryside hunt, shoot and fish.

I am a pretty good cook as well so I decided to take up hunting with air guns - my main quarry is rabbits.

I am a beginner - and to learn about air gun hunting and HFT I applied for membership of a local target shooting club and BASC.

I managed to get 2 permissions, both right on the Cotswolds escarpments, the first just a small field but full of rabbits, the second a 440 acres mixed farm without any hunting syndicate on at at all. I have been told I am very lucky as lots of people struggle finding a permission at all.

My first proper hunting trip (sunny warm afternoon last week) resulted in my first rabbit which is currently in the pot and will be on the table tonight - including some thyme, Portwine and winter root vegetables.

Having been "blooded" , my second trip on the farm resulted in absolutely nothing - but it was a lot colder so the bunnies stayed at home.

I am sure there are more efficient ways of hunting rabbits then using a single shot air gun - but this seems to require the best field skills and therefore the biggest challenge....but I am sure some of you disagree.

My equipment is:

Air Arms S400 .22 Karbine

Walther 4-12x50 CI Scope

Deben Tracer high power gun light (when out at night)

Ok that is it for the moment - bye.