Young Springer

Ya he is on hand signals but I'd like him to push on abit more .I know he is young and lacking experience .never worked him with a lurcher or whippet no. He is fearless in cover but doesn't seem to push on. Would the fact that he comes out be because he is relying too much on Me to send him

Ya he is on hand signals but I'd like him to push on abit more .I know he is young and lacking experience .never worked him with a lurcher or whippet no. He is fearless in cover but doesn't seem to push on. Would the fact that he comes out be because he is relying too much on Me to send him

sounds to me like you have well bred gun dog doing what s well bred gun dog should do mate which is hunt close in ... In gun range. I think running him with another experienced busher which ranges out further will help him to hunt further away but think it also mite ruin him for working to the gun... Horse for course dogs for jobs

Navec, would you not train a spaniel to work to the gun then if your priority was to bush cover for lurchers? Do you think to much training like hand signals and quartering would perhaps limit them for working big areas of cover? I am interested as I will be training mine soon, cheers

Cantona if I had a fully trained gun dog I would use it for bushing to lurcher also but I would not engourage it to do something I later would scold the dog for .... For example if I had a gun dog and I took it bushing for a lurcher I would except that the dog will work to a certain range and id be happy with that because if I was out shooting pheasant and partridge the next day and the dog was working to far a head nocking birds up 100 yards away if be calling that mutt every name under the sun... As I see it and this is only my opinion is that a busher will never be as good as a fully trained gun dog at working to the gun and a gun dog will never be as good as a experienced busher for bushing to lurchers That is my opinion ... However I don't doubt that some one with s very good training ability could get a spaniel to work further afield with just a chosen quarry eg rabbit and then work close on another quarry eg birds but way I am saying is neither will be as good as the other purposely bred for the job at hand .... Try one of the lads on the gun dog section mate they mite have more advice about getting s spaniel to work further afield on rabbit