glen of imaal terriers

does anyone have any thoughts on glens ive got a dog and bitch and just had a litter just wondered if anyone has any thoughts good or bad

what do you mean any thoughts? iv got one sell em! they should sell like hot cakes whats there line and have the parents done much work?

Who wants to know?

Come to me, my pretties for Glen info esp those wanting working strain pups, no chance o working adults, haha!

all that crap you read like no terrier can kill a fox etc., remenber the Glen is like nothing over in england or the continent, they are bred to pull, silently, then when out in the world, rejuggle the hold if need be and swiftly crush to oblivion,

Pm me sweeties

does anyone have any thoughts on glens ive got a dog and bitch and just had a litter just wondered if anyone has any thoughts good or bad

what do you mean any thoughts? iv got one sell em! they should sell like hot cakes whats there line and have the parents done much work?

Who wants to know?

Come to me, my pretties for Glen info esp those wanting working strain pups, no chance o working adults, haha!

all that crap you read like no terrier can kill a fox etc., remenber the Glen is like nothing over in england or the continent, they are bred to pull, silently, then when out in the world, rejuggle the hold if need be and swiftly crush to oblivion,

Pm me sweeties

Oh and i hope these Glens are irish importsof certain lines if you hoping for work, do not put your money on show lines, especially english ones, very slim chances of them carrying the true working blood.

remenber the Glen is like nothing over in england or the continent, they are bred to pull, silently, then when out in the world, rejuggle the hold if need be and swiftly crush to oblivion,

spot on tortoise

if you get the right breeding they take some beating

a couple of pics of a glen at 7 months doing what comes naturaly from a well bred pup

by the way tortoise bred these :yes::yes:

post-2261-1194625153_thumb.jpg

post-2261-1194625236_thumb.jpg

so would ye put yours up aginst wheatans for hacking? :hmm:

If i knew what hacking was i'd tell you, but i can guess. Never kept wheatens, but looking at them, think they are big. The biggest obstacle to more folks keeping working glens here is the lack of them. The turn to show breeding from the 80s onwards mixed them up.

As for how many Glens and are they workers, I have a few.. Glens and have kept a good few over time, i do work them and am only interested in working ones. Am hoping that a few more generations dedicated breeding and selecting for best workers will really revive the breed.

Edited by tortoise
remenber the Glen is like nothing over in england or the continent, they are bred to pull, silently, then when out in the world, rejuggle the hold if need be and swiftly crush to oblivion,

spot on tortoise

if you get the right breeding they take some beating

a couple of pics of a glen at 7 months doing what comes naturaly from a well bred pup

by the way tortoise bred these :yes::yes:

Thanks Billy,

and thanks for the phone call yesterday to remind me of what i got up to when drunk :icon_redface:

Doh

Edited by tortoise

If i knew what hacking was i'd tell you, but i can guess. Never kept wheatens, but looking at them, think they are big. The biggest obstacle to more folks keeping working glens here is the lack of them. The turn to show breeding from the 80s onwards mixed them up.

As for how many Glens and are they workers, I have a few.. Glens and have kept a good few over time, i do work them and am only interested in working ones. Am hoping that a few more generations dedicated breeding and selecting for best workers will really revive the breed.

sorry about that hacking means pulling or drwaing ! they seem like a dog with big sprit tho and would work there balls off for ya but all i see when i look at them for sale is ikc reg show shit and a hefty price tag of 600euro for em!

Yes they will draw out before doing anything else underground generally. The right dogs are very good workers, well past big black fells and bulls and will not stop like furry little terminators. Never seen a wheaten work but would love to, genetically wheatens and glens are very close and were interbred until IKC reg came along and maybe after...

Unfortunately my dogs are IKC reg too and 650 euro each, but never any bother placing them. :D

have dogs allover world in pet and working homes, but its a hard game, show only people despise us and make all sorts of lovely alllegations when possible. But then we're claiming that the only true Glen is a genuine working dog which rubbishes the whole show thing for them :boxing:

Bertelinglen's Glens are Irish imports from confirmed working lines :victory::victory:

sorry about that hacking means pulling or drwaing ! they seem like a dog with big sprit tho and would work there balls off for ya but all i see when i look at them for sale is ikc reg show shit and a hefty price tag of 600euro for em!

Yes they will draw out before doing anything else underground generally. The right dogs are very good workers, well past big black fells and bulls and will not stop like furry little terminators. Never seen a wheaten work but would love to, genetically wheatens and glens are very close and were interbred until IKC reg came along and maybe after...

Unfortunately my dogs are IKC reg too and 650 euro each, but never any bother placing them. :D

have dogs allover world in pet and working homes, but its a hard game, show only people despise us and make all sorts of lovely alllegations when possible. But then we're claiming that the only true Glen is a genuine working dog which rubbishes the whole show thing for them :boxing:

Bertelinglen's Glens are Irish imports from confirmed working lines :victory::victory:

so do your ikc reg glens have like show champions in there bloodline and still they will work as good as your saying they ar even tho some of there past generations even as close as parents in some cases have bein bred out of working! ya wheatans ar the dogs bollox for me there a serious dog for work if you get the right line but most ar gone to show! :thumbdown:

Show winners are a good bit back in my pedigrees now.

Basically working ability became a bit of a lottery in Glens after the eighties when most breeding was done to select for show winning appearance and no longer for working ability.

Glens bred for show are too big, too fat, too bulky, too inflexible, too slow, too soft coated (get wet and cold easily) and WAY too broad in the chest.

So Glens with the right appearance for work will only go so far at shows, as their appearance does not meet what the Show Judges consider real Glens, Ha!

Also spirit in the dog is the real clincher when it comes to work, and you ahve to select for that spirit in your breeding otherwise well, its the same in any breed isn't it, courage is what its all about and an enjpoyment of their work.

But this is the same issue as with the Irish Setter, the Springer and other gundog breeds where a vast difference exists between show and work strains, but all are IKC, but bred for different aims.