Rabbit Shooting

to summerise the above...argue niggle tuttle fart lol

the bit about depends on your gun is the first step, but distance is the next concideration, over the next few weeks try one tin at a time, reason, some pellet/barrel combo;s need a cleen barrel (use a pull through inbetween each one then watch out for any diference as you go through the box of 500/200..watever) some need to be bedded in,,(500 is about right to see btw)

something to keep your eye open for is the sticker on the back of the tin ending inn something like 50,51 52 etc, some pellets feel like they should be a lot better, the other skirt size may well be spot on, eg, 1.77 AA fields, a lot say the 52's are on others the 51's..

as you use each pellet check it out to see how far before they start wandering, you;ll notise it much more with wad cutter types. any weird n wonderful speshul tipped blahh blahh pellet will be an all round shite pellet lol.

start with domed, they an all round good start..the main difference will be length of pellet I think, certain barrels like little stubbies others like long or what ever , you get the drift,

AA fields will be a good start, jsb exacts are very similar, daystates are ok..etc these are all mid weight pellets, jsab heavies are worth a look, and don't miss out on the good old mucky accupels.

basically until you've tried a few you;ll never know for yourself until you been there and got the T shirt.

the reason to try them is some are suited to say short range rat blatting, others mid range but no good at distance...yu can never tell till yu try..

youll get a good feel on a range if you hit things like lumps of wood, cans, etc etc...feel it wack you'll get the drift as you do it more.

peripheral info springers take to lighter pellets and pcps take to heavier pellets,but as always...not always lol. mid weight 8-9 gram types are where to start .. heavey tend hold more energy down range, wack more close up but over penetrate much easier, i.e wacking pigion in a barn at 5-10 yards with bisly magnums may achieve some annoying ricoche's as they fly on through lol. as will accupells.. two rabbit pellets to try there.

Edited by ghillies

Haven't shot any bunnies. But up to the ranges us mere mortals shoot at. Anything is going to put a hole in a rabbit. The real question is what's the best way of getting that hole in a kill zone. From my limited experience.

PS in my sub £200 rifle AA diabolo hunters (pointed) grouped the best out to 40m. After I spent £80 and a week solid testing tins of JSB exact, RWS Superdome, AA diabolo field, AA diabolo field Heavy, accupels, etc.

What ever let's you put the pellet on the target is the answer.

why didn't you buy samples? ! Bit daft buying whole tins

the sample packs are ok for sussing the skirt size but..they dont provide enough lead to see if the barrel needs to be a clean one or bedded in before that particular pellet performs. e.g. my old daystate shot accupells like chronic diareah then all of a sudden perked up very nicely after the barrel had been coated up a bit, hense the clean the barrel with a pull through inbetween each pellet brand.

edit, also after 500 shots your 'used to that pellet' then the change shows up the diference much more 'obviously'

Edited by ghillies