lamping - frustrating night with pup

Took my 12 mth old whippet pup Blaze out for a shine last night. It's only his second time looking for bunnies as I've been busy and wanted to let him be a pup for as long as possible. We often walk at night with no intention of hunting (but always the possibility :yes: )

He had a fall early in the evening chasing a wallaby which left him with a tiny cut on his foreleg and a larger one on his chin. I checked the dog, thought he was OK and continued on.

So we walked around a corner and nearly stumbled over a squatter. I have been on my knees praying to God for a squatter to help get him started, but instead of chasing after it when it bolted, he ran about 5 steps and then stopped and walked back to me.

Do you think the fall shook him up a bit? Or does it take time for them to work this lamping thing out?

How do I teach him to look down the beam?

Edited by grubbavitch

Don't worry about it mate. Seriously, the more you take him out the better. He'll take to it, you'll see :thumbs: He's just got to keep seeing rabbits in the beam and if he's a real whippet and not a poodle in disguise he'll go :D :D

He'll get to realise as mine do that if they ain't been fed by 7'ish and I walk up to the kennels in me wellies it's time for some lovely killin' ! :D :D

Took my 12 mth old whippet pup Blaze out for a shine last night. It's only his second time looking for bunnies as I've been busy and wanted to let him be a pup for as long as possible. We often walk at night with no intention of hunting (but always the possibility :yes: )

He had a fall early in the evening chasing a wallaby which left him with a tiny cut on his foreleg and a larger one on his chin. I checked the dog, thought he was OK and continued on.

So we walked around a corner and nearly stumbled over a squatter. I have been on my knees praying to God for a squatter to help get him started, but instead of chasing after it when it bolted, he ran about 5 steps and then stopped and walked back to me.

Do you think the fall shook him up a bit? Or does it take time for them to work this lamping thing out?

How do I teach him to look down the beam?

take him out more its as simple as that

Getting smacked by falling doesn't help concentrating I think. With 12 months she might also be a bit playfull still.

I wouldn't worry...my dog didn't look down the beam at first as he wasn't used to lamping but after a couple of times the quarter fell. If your dog has prey drive and only a bit of brains it will be ok after a couple of sessions.

L.

Getting smacked by falling doesn't help concentrating I think. With 12 months she might also be a bit playfull still.

I wouldn't worry...my dog didn't look down the beam at first as he wasn't used to lamping but after a couple of times the quarter fell. If your dog has prey drive and only a bit of brains it will be ok after a couple of sessions.

L.

The dog is still young, it will get there in the end. My best lamping dog was rubbish at first, after about

12 nights then it clicked and he never missed much after that. :thumbs:

mad-mouse :)