has anyone fished the Red Sea from Egypt. I know fishing is banned in Sharm but there are boats going out of Dahab but I'm finding it hard to find out if they provide worthwhile fishing trips. Not bothered about big stuff as I'm more interested in species hunting. I want to take my species tally to 100 next summer and although I know I can do it in the Canaries etc I haven't fished the Red Sea yet. I'm not wealthy so money or rather a lack of it is always an issue lol.

I'd only caught cod, mackerel, whiting and flounder and a couple of species abroad until about three years ago when I started doing more fishing in the summer months. I love it and I'm just as happy sat around a carp lake as Ive been on a boat after tuna or fishing a light jighead on 4lb line.

• Like 1

I went out in a glass bottom boat once out of Jordan top end red sea and it was only my family on board guy asked if I liked to fish, he had a wee trawling rod and we hooked up with a Spanish mackerel, cooked it on the beach straight after over a drift wood fire with a fresh salad, never tasted better fish.

You can expect to catch loads of different reef fish, I would get a book as they are hard to identify the different type, you should get barracuda, lion fish watch out! An if you fish light small hook and little bits of shrimp you will catch angle fish, butter fly fish, box fish etc.,

B.

• Like 2

I've been to Sharm and snorkelled there and your right there's a load of reef fish plus the bigger stuff. I'd expect to catch a wide variety of species IF I was able to fish the shore or go out with a skipper that actually knew where the good spots are, I've been on boats out of Turkey that were a waste of time. As with the boats going out of Dahab people can go snorkelling as others are fishing. It's all a bit daft.

Fishing from Turkey and the Canary Islands I've found Sabiki rigs are the best rigs to use to catch all sorts of fish. I always take sizes 10 to 6. For good sport though you cannot beat using small size 8/10 jigheads on a 7g or lighter rod. I fish 6lb braid with a four foot 4lb fluorocarbon leader. Any small wrasse or bream can bend the rod round in the surf. Plus scorpionfish, lizardfish and the occasional bonus species. At night it's fun catching Gilthead Bream and Smoothhounds.

I've caught snapper and shark in Hawaii a few years back but I didn't know anything about fishing then. It's a shame as I could have caught all sorts of fish out there.........I can't afford to go back it's just too expensive and was a sort of once in a lifetime trip.

There's a few good websites online for fish ID, better than books. It can get confusing, for example every boat I've been on calls Red Bream Snappers or Pandora. I caught a skate and the crew were calling it a stingray lol. Mind I've been on boats at home and seen people calling Dabs Turbot etc etc. I suppose it makes no difference but I like to know what everything is.