North East Air Gunner New To Ferreting

Evening all,

Me an my mate are wanting to start ferreting this winter , he used to do it when he was younger and I have only been out the once a few years back.

We have got hutch and run, I'm looking into getting some purse nets from anyone local or after reading the pinned post on here, some of the guys that make,sell and post from this site.

I have a couple of questions just now and will probably think of more when I'm more awake.

1st question is, if we go out and get 2 young hob kits , say 12 weeks old, when would we be able to introduce them to hunting rabbits? Or would we be better off getting a couple of older ones? If we can manage to get any older workers, as only really seeing kits advertised .

As I say I'm a complete novice , but am looking at

As many posts in forums and web pages as I can, so as to get a better understanding of the sport and what the requirements will be.

Also is it a personal preference as to what sex the pair of ferrets should be ?

Thanks in advance Guys for any help or tips, I'm sure I'll never be away rom the site for the next few months!!

Ideally you want kits, so you can raise them, handle them regular and bond. Get them used to you and your whistle before they even see any work. Any kits born now will most likely be too young to start this year, maybe the back end of the season if your lucky, the rabbiting season being so short these days.

At the minute your still getting the last few ferrets from the early litters so you might get lucky and get an older, well handled ferret or two. But be aware, the price will go up as the season gets closer as everyone has kept just enough ferrets for themselves, then add the time spent and food bill.

Males, females? Thats up to you, but you will have to split 2 hobs up come spring as they come into heat and will fight. Some people like hobs for their size and killing power I like a good sized jill that can still get round a stuck rabbit. Cant really go wrong with a mix of sizes and working styles though.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mostly as said as above get young stock no somebody else's mistakes then if they dont turn out right its down to you , get kits spend the summer playing with them threw pipes etc picking them up dropping them down wearing collars and with hob kits you should get a shot at ferreting this back end but treat it as a learning curve as most kits [BANNED TEXT] work deep burrows and move rabbits till they are in there second year and have the experiance

Excellent tips guys thanks very much,

Bob Cullen, what do u mean by getting them used to my whistles?

We not in a hurry to start I suppose we just looking forward to it, but I see your points about spending time with the ferrets and getting to know them and get them to feel comfortable , and only getting out what you put in.

My mate will be keeping them in his garden then shed in the winter, so he will get more chance to bond with them haha!

I'll get some 4" pipe from the plumbers in work and leave them in with ferrets in their run and some other things.

I'm also going to try getting out with a friend of a friend who's done ferreting for about 40 years , either on his land or I can ask him to come onto mine, just to show me the ropes so to speak

As others have said mate best to get from young so you can rear them on and bond with them. (Makes it a bit more rewarding when you get your first rabbit I thought with something you have had from young)

I was always told to whistle or call them (squeaking like a rabbit in distress) when I went to feed them. That way if they kill in sometimes if you call they will come back out without having to dig. Works a few times for me but not sure if that's 100% true lol.

As for nets get yourself to a country fair or as others have said get some off decent lads from here. I would defiantly recommend a locator as the last thing you want is to spend all your time bonding with the ferret for it to kill in and you loose it. I know they are a bit expensive but well worth the money.

If you can't get out with your ferrets this season maybe put a post up and see if anybody will let you tag along so you can learn the ropes on netting, keeping quiet Ect?

Just don't kill the bunnies for the sake of it, make sure you eat them or sell them on :)

• Like 1

Getting them used to a whistle, tongue click or whatever comes in handy when you want to pick your ferret up. Not calling it off a kill, although we`ve all tried when the depth goes off the box. :laugh:

What I mean is some times if working with a big group, ferrets can act up around unfamiliar ferrets, dogs and people, so it helps the ferret know its you trying to pick it up to move on. But as you said, the more you show them, the more they learn.

• Like 2

As above i let mine run about the garage and speak to them before i pick them up , if there in the hutch i will draw a key up the wire, Speaking etc it just helps if there wired up and the Adrenalins pumping they dont latch on to you while there out as when the rabbit bolts you often grab it up in the net then the ferret appears and wonders where its gone , same if they loose one in the burrow and are trying to find where it went they surface and you grab the ferret and get grabbed

As above i let mine run about the garage and speak to them before i pick them up , if there in the hutch i will draw a key up the wire, Speaking etc it just helps if there wired up and the Adrenalins pumping they dont latch on to you while there out as when the rabbit bolts you often grab it up in the net then the ferret appears and wonders where its gone , same if they loose one in the burrow and are trying to find where it went they surface and you grab the ferret and get grabbed

Sounds like you got ferrets as well trained as mine :laugh: Hats off to the lads who got ferrets you can put your hand down to whilst theyre still killiing. Ive done it to other peoples with no problems. Then after a bit of goading, feeling brave, I done it to my own, only to get nailed :laugh: .