Which terrier is best........

Hi lads

As some would know from my introduction post, i am looking on getting a little terrier for Rats, Fox, Rabbits etc, i have alot of land all around me and have permission off a co-worker who lives on a farm to do Rat & other vermin culls there.

I want to get myself a dog i can work but legally own and not feel paranoid taking for a walk.

My Q is: What 'generally' is the best breed or cross for the purpose i'm after, is it a Patterdale, JRT, Airdale, Lakeland and/or crosses of those, Also how does the European Jagd Terrier compare to the previous mentioned breeds in terms of performance/size etc.

I was recently in the process of getting a 5 month male 3/4 Pat (Nuttall/Wheeler) 1/4 Working staff but circumstances deemed it not possible at the moment, basically i cant get my terrier until March/April next year but want to gain as much info and knowledge on these little dogs as possible before making the move to get one.

Thanks

Edited by MDC

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you love russells just get a well bredded russell, no need for a cross, russells have be banging rats for donkeys without pat blood in them. me mates mums got a patx dunno whats its x with? but thats scared of spiders..

if you get a dog from worken lines people say its got more chance of worken, which makes sence to me.. but worken what? fox? good if you can find foxes in your area, any terrier worth its salt will kill vermin on sight, it doesnt matter it its x'd or not, a big factor aswell is how the dog is brought up, a dog with loads a chances on vermin will learn faster than one that gets a chance once every blue moon.. so its not always the breed its the dog and the way its brought up and many other factors

my camera is bust it fell out of my pocket, father is a parson russell rough haired and fourteen and half inch mother is black and tan smooth haired about elevn inch they work on any quarry where you from pups 150 thanks a lot :drink::gunsmilie:

I am in the Durham area mate.

when the pups ready? whats their coats like, rough or smooth? and whats the colours

cheers

Would you guys say that one breed is better working small vermin than another ie a Pat over a JRT?

Also, does anyone here use Pat/JRT crosses, do these cross well?

Thanks for your replies lads

i have a mate who i go out hunting with & he has a Lakeland/JR cross & that is a good hunter dont know much about pats :pardon:

have a Patterdale plus Lucher, or plus some gun dog like Slovak roughcoated pointer

go with a Jack Russell, Stag or Deerhound, and if you wish, get a Lab or a pointer for finding the foxes. really you just need to get a terrior that can do foxes because if it can do them, rats.rabbits are nothing for it and the jacks are what we use here in Oz. i have never seen or met anyone over here whom owns a terrior for foxes thatr isnt a Jack or part jack. the hound will catch the pricks ofcourse and haven a keen lab or ect makes it easy to flush them out of their hiding and find the dens. our lab is awsome at that, loves working that fella. hes 9 and god knows how many hes got us good luck anyway. can you let us know what you end up getting?? :victory::gunsmilie::toast:

Edited by holy grail
Guest ben12345

patterdale every time...get a nuttal line but be prepared for some serious digging. theyre hard little dogs but great with people. they dont mind big crowds i.e hunting but then theyd rather avoid getting stood on or kicked by mithering people in the crowd unlike a jr. break them to ferrets, chickens, cats early i.e as soon as you get 1 because if you dont it counts as prey. great workers, friendly and very trainable. and the most loyal little dog youl ever get.