Running dogs and treadmills??

Hi everyone was wondering if any of you's have every used a treadmill to keep your lurchers fit,and before you's say it no im not a lazy bas**rd, i fractured my heel the other week :cry: thought i was spiderman and jumped of a shelf in work acting the clown as usual nothing new there :doh: but any how its going to see both me and the dogs out of action for about six weeks well less if possible but at present i can't walk on the foot and the dogs are'nt getting walked.

i keep my dogs in shaped all year round, well try to. i stick to the seem routine all year round 3mile walk in the morning along with a free run and 3mile walk in the evening along with a free run dogs love it i love it and we're all happy. so back to the question dogs and treadmills seeing im going to be out of action for a while im sure its going to show on my dogs it was this thought that got me thinking about a treadmill i could sit in the garage foot in ice, few beer :drink: and the dog's could get a work out. dogs are kept fit im not putting any strain on the foot seems a good idea to me are is it.

have any of you's tried this before? how did the dog/dog's take to it? and how long did you give the dog/dogs on it and at what pace.

look forward to some replies to which i would be very thankful for :signthankspin:

yours in sport

Fatham

unless you know what you are doing mate i wouldnt bother , a mill is good for stabina and building up wind but at the same time by working a running dog on a mill it will build muscle and you dont want to much muscle on a lurcher ! i will brake it down for you ! first of all you have to picture in your mind the stature of a dog running in a strait line ! if you ran in a strait line long enough to build up the only muscles you would use by doing this then all you would be doing is training your body to run in a strait line , when you wanted to turn left or right it would be taxing on certan muscle groups you would use to turn L . R . simply because you have built up strait line muscles to a graiter extent than your L.R. muscles ! boy you could run fast in a strait line but when it was time to corner then you would start to pull muscles as soon as you had to turn , how meny running dogs do you know of that only runs it strait lines ? run round a stick clockwise for two weeks then enter a race running round a stick anticlockwise against condenders that has been training to run round a stick anticlockwise who do you think would win ? lol , i could go on and on into this but i just havent got the time and the grammar to spell all the fancie words lol , tredmill no good for lurchers , tred mill good for working bull dogs , tredmill good for track greys if you know how to use them , now i am sure that there is going to be some fancie posts on this so take it all in and use common sence :crazy:

unless you know what you are doing mate i wouldnt bother , a mill is good for stabina and building up wind but at the same time by working a running dog on a mill it will build muscle and you dont want to much muscle on a lurcher ! i will brake it down for you ! first of all you have to picture in your mind the stature of a dog running in a strait line ! if you ran in a strait line long enough to build up the only muscles you would use by doing this then all you would be doing is training your body to run in a strait line , when you wanted to turn left or right it would be taxing on certan muscle groups you would use to turn L . R . simply because you have built up strait line muscles to a graiter extent than your L.R. muscles ! boy you could run fast in a strait line but when it was time to corner then you would start to pull muscles as soon as you had to turn , how meny running dogs do you know of that only runs it strait lines ? run round a stick clockwise for two weeks then enter a race running round a stick anticlockwise against condenders that has been training to run round a stick anticlockwise who do you think would win ? lol , i could go on and on into this but i just havent got the time and the grammar to spell all the fancie words lol , tredmill no good for lurchers , tred mill good for working bull dogs , tredmill good for track greys if you know how to use them , now i am sure that there is going to be some fancie posts on this so take it all in and use common sence :crazy:

THIS IS ABSOLUTE BULLSH*T! some of the best greyhound trainers in the country use treaddmills also some of the forley cup winners were part trained on mills.And what the f*ck is L AND R MUSCLES obviously you aint clued up on your dogs and you definatly no nothing about mills how long have you had dogs not long by the sounds of it for F*CKS SAKE L AND R MUSCLES. Dont give advise on something you know nothing about :haha::feck::feck:

Tell me if i'm wrong but i think we're talking about hunting dogs (ie agility) not straight line flapping dogs.....Cheers (BTW I never pretended to be an expert...I'm not)

Eggy

Edited by Eggy

THIS IS ABSOLUTE BULLSH*T! some of the best greyhound trainers in the country use treaddmills also some of the forley cup winners were part trained on mills.And what the f*ck is L AND R MUSCLES obviously you aint clued up on your dogs and you definatly no nothing about mills how long have you had dogs not long by the sounds of it for F*CKS SAKE L AND R MUSCLES. Dont give advise on something you know nothing about :haha::feck::feck:

Tell me if i'm wrong but i think we're talking about hunting dogs (ie agility) not straight line plapping dogs.....Cheers

Eggy

didnt know the forley cup ws ran in a straight line neither do greyhounds they have bends to go round on a track think about it eggy

Sure...but isn't there a difference between gentle/persistance/stamina and a forcefull twist/spin while out hunting rabbits, fox etc.....Think about that :thumbs:

Cheers

Eggy

Edited by Eggy

i agree deputy dog

well if you boys know better explain why, after all Fathom is after advise on treadmills not a slanging match.

i'm in no way clued up on treadmills, but i have personally seen a good dog ruined with one, muscle bound, could'nt turn etc etc...

he was told by a greyhound bone man to get rid of the treadmill because they do more harm than good, he also said it's better to use a carousel, similar to a horse walker rather than a treadmill, but i don't think anything can substitute road work, and general excercise in the fields etc, throwing a ball is good also if the dog will retrieve it :) .

i agree deputy dog

well if you boys know better explain why, after all Fathom is after advise on treadmills not a slanging match.

i'm in no way clued up on treadmills, but i have personally seen a good dog ruined with one, muscle bound, could'nt turn etc etc...

he was told by a greyhound bone man to get rid of the treadmill because they do more harm than good, he also said it's better to use a carousel, similar to a horse walker rather than a treadmill, but i don't think anything can substitute road work, and general excercise in the fields etc, throwing a ball is good also if the dog will retrieve it :) .

Spot on lucky :notworthy: is a carousel on of those things that has a dog trotting around in a circle :hmm:

Tell me if i'm wrong but i think we're talking about hunting dogs (ie agility) not straight line plapping dogs.....Cheers

Eggy

didnt know the forley cup ws ran in a straight line neither do greyhounds they have bends to go round on a track think about it eggy

Sure...but isn't there a difference between a "gentle", sloping track bend and a forcefull twist/spin while out hunting.....Think about that :thumbs:

Cheers

Eggy

so you are trying to say that the forley cup was run on gentle sloping bends

No, but there's a huge difference between a pure stamina/hare dog and an agile dog that uses all the muscle groups when going for the strike etc...Anyway I really can't see the advantage of a "silly" treadmill for hunting purposes (straight line training).....but then again ai havn't been around long enough, so you might well be right :blink:

Cheers

Eggy

i agree deputy dog

Spot on lucky :notworthy: is a carousel on of those things that has a dog trotting around in a circle :hmm:

yes, i think people use them clockwise one day and anti clockwise the next, plus there on the ground, and not running on a belt.

Eggy

Sure...but isn't there a difference between a "gentle", sloping track bend and a forcefull twist/spin while out hunting.....Think about that :thumbs:

Cheers

Eggy

so you are trying to say that the forley cup was run on gentle sloping bends

No, but there's a huge difference between a pure stamina/hare dog and an agile dog that uses all the muscle groups when going for the strike etc...Anyway I really can't see the advantage of a "silly" treadmill for hunting purposes (straight line training).....but then again ai havn't been around long enough, so you might well be right :blink:

Cheers

Eggy

so now hare dogs dont strike for hares or you just aint seen a good hare dog and i never mentioned about using a mill for hunting purposes fathom wanted a way to keep his dogs fit as he has fractured his heal and a treadmill would still keep his dogs fit :big_boss:

That's right DeputyDog :signthankspin: , i dont want a treadmill to relace road work or free running just a temperary replacment till i get back on my feet. Did'nt mean to cause a row just looking some advice

:chair: :black eye: :alcoholic: ..btw never said hare dog's going for strike (read properly nmpty)...ai said an agile hunting (aka lurcher) dog;'s going for a strike...

Fair enough

Cheers

Eggy

Edited by Eggy
could i use a human treadmill would this be safe?? dogs ones pretty expensive only intened to use it in emergencies dont really intend to use it when im up and about again

many people have but you wouldnt be able to leave your dog alone on it were as on a dog mill you can because a dog nill has a bar to tie your dog to and if the dog slips the bar pulls and stops the mill so if your prepared to sit and watch you should be able to no bother :thumbs:

them dog ones sound the dogs balls. might give the human one ago the dog could trot away beside me while i surf the huntinglife :drink: and start a few more rows ha ha.

thanks for the sound advice deputydog :signthankspin:

yours in sport

fathom